FORUMS: list search recent posts

problem converting detailed line drawing of PNG gile to vector file

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas Gentry
problem converting detailed line drawing of PNG gile to vector file
on Jan 16, 2012 at 6:12:15 pm

Hello!

I have a PNG file, as the client seems to have lost the original AI file.I need to convert it to an AI file, but I'm having no luck. If I try to open it in AI it says" This PNG contains additional data created for Adobe fireworks will be discarded upon save" and I proceed. I've tried to open it in Photoshop and go Layer > Type, but Type is greyed out.

I'm on CS4. This drawing is one color but has an immense amount of detail (it is a famous skyline that I need to use in AE).

Any suggestions appreciated.

Best

Douglas

Return to posts index

Tylor Larson
Re: problem converting detailed line drawing of PNG gile to vector file
on Jan 20, 2012 at 3:27:59 pm

the PNG file is a bitmap image. Like Tiffs PSD and jpegs. if you are trying to make it into a vector file i would do a live trace on the PNG. in a pinch. But ... it is a fast and dirty solution to your problem. Live trace may shortcut some details and give you more problems. I usually avoid using live trace. but if you are on deadline i would give it a shot. It may save you a few hours of work redrawing. to live trace an image drag the image into a new document and select the image. this should bring up the live trace menu. there is a drop down in this menu that will give you some options. once you have what you want... expand this and clean up and repair any major issues. your file is one color so i would suggest using the "one color logo" preset. You can tweak the template with the other controls on this sub menu. but remember live trace isn't a vector until you expand it...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]