FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slicing a Layer into Two

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Doyle
Slicing a Layer into Two
on Jan 8, 2012 at 10:59:20 pm

This is probably an extremely easy solution, but for some reason is it boggling me. I am very new to Illustrator, and figured I would try make a vector logo of something I designed in Photoshop a while back:

On the right is the original .jpg.
I made 4 Layers for the rings and Middle circle.
I made another 'cut through' wave path with the pen tool.

I want to either separate the top and bottom of each ring into it's own movable layer, or even just deleting a 3px wide stroke out of the middle is sufficient.

I can't seem to figure out where to go after making this pen path - perhaps it's not even the right way. Whenever I try to use any pathfinder options, it doesn't cut things out the way I am intending.

Any help would be great thanks :)

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Slicing a Layer into Two
on Jan 8, 2012 at 11:41:27 pm

See the attached file...

3513_illustratorissuev10.ai.zip

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Slicing a Layer into Two
on Jan 9, 2012 at 3:17:59 am

Try watching this tutorial I made.

It shows how to mask objects in Illustrator and teaches you basics of compound paths, etc.

Basically to cut the logo "in half", first make it a compound path by selecting the logo and type CTRL+8 (pc) or CMD+8 (mac), or in the menu, Object - Compound Path - Make. Then create a 3pt curve going through your logo and outline that path (object - path - outline stroke) so it is no longer a stroke (it will become a solid). Next select this solid curve and your logo, and in the Pathfinder palette, click the "subtract" button (second from the top left).

Try that and let us know if this was what you were trying to accomplish.

LittleBlackBird.net

My Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]