FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vertices skew when scaling down

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Rousseaux
Vertices skew when scaling down
on Jan 3, 2012 at 10:53:01 pm

I have a semi complex (~50 vertices) object that I created at a larger size.

When scaling the graphic down, the vertices start to move in relation to each other. In other words the spacing gets screwed up.

Below is a comparison of what I mean.

I've been using Illustrator for around 7 years and have never run into this issue. I'm assuming there must be a setting that got changed somewhere that would be causing this. I also appear to have issues with points moving when applying a stroke. An octagon turned into almost a triangle after applying a stroke. Even after removing the stroke the vertices remained skewed.

Isn't this why we design in vector? So we don't have scale issues?

Any help you could provide would be great! Thanks.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: Vertices skew when scaling down
on Jan 4, 2012 at 12:16:04 am

Trash your prefs file and then try again. Usually when AI or ID starts doing weird things, it's the prefs file the makes it screw up. Deleting it will usually make the issues go away.

Return to posts index

Matthew Rousseaux
on Jan 4, 2012 at 3:54:00 pm

Thanks for getting back to me les,

I trashed the AIprefs file found under <%appdata%\AdobeAdobe Illustrator CS5 Settings\en_US\AIPrefs> but it seems to have no effect.

I am scaling from 250px, down to 18px. Am I just asking to much of Illustrator?

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Jan 4, 2012 at 4:10:48 pm

I think as if someone may have posted something similar sometime in the past. And if memory serves, it was something along the line that the file got corrupted somehow and AI used incorrect/bad data for scaling. And of course the solution was to start it again from scratch.

The design doesn't seem complex you can try recreating it using a new document.

You can also post the file and I'm happy to see if I get the same result. If I do, you definitely have a corrupted file.

Return to posts index

Matthew Rousseaux
on Jan 4, 2012 at 5:20:08 pm

Thanks again les,

If you wouldn't mind taking a quick look. Just scale it down to something like 15px or so and if you have the same issue that must be it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?losp6ybpyo1rele

above is the link to the file.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Jan 4, 2012 at 9:15:30 pm

I think that file got corrupted. I get the strange scaling issue as well in CS5.

However, if you look at the attached file, I tried to recreate the shape (just quick and dirty very basic) starting from a brand new, fresh document, you can scale it down to a very tiny size without any issue.

I'd recommend starting from scratch using a fresh document (don't use the corrupted one).

CS5 File:
3490_scalingissue2.ai.zip

Return to posts index

Matthew Rousseaux
on Jan 4, 2012 at 9:25:16 pm

Your file scales with no issues, so that solves it.

Thanks a lot! I didn't think I was crazy, but you never know. Luckily it's a simple file, or else that would have sucked.

Once again thanks a bunch, and have a great one!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]