FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing ai files into after effects

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
paul gregory
Importing ai files into after effects
on Jan 3, 2012 at 5:24:27 pm

Hello,

I have an illustrator file which i would like to use in after effects, usually when i import an ai file, after effects gives me options how it interoperates the file, i.e as a composition or footage. How ever this particular file does not give me any options, it just goes in as a merged image? I cant work out why its any different. Im guessing the solution (if any) is in the way im saving the ai file? any ideas??

Kind Regards,

Paul Gregory

Return to posts index

Tylor Larson
Re: Importing ai files into after effects
on Jan 3, 2012 at 10:41:28 pm

what is in your illustrator file. I have found that if you have a 3d Revolve or other un-expanded elements it can make AE freak out. also some complex paint strokes can cause problems as well... again simple flatten... in most causes i would flatten elements that don't need to be edited any more... but i always save a unflatten version to protect the project in case changes are needed.

Return to posts index

paul gregory
on Jan 4, 2012 at 9:38:48 am

Thanks for your response, I have solved the problem though, havent used ai for a while and i forgot that that unlike photoshop, ai doesn't separate the layers, which is required for what i need! thanks for your time though.

Kind regards,

Paul

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Jan 13, 2012 at 4:46:18 pm

You can separate the layers in Illustrator too, open the layers panel, side menu and choose release to layers, it will actually create sublayers within the original layer, all you have to do then is take them out and set them as independent layers, then you just delete the original now empty layer.

Also make sure that you are working with the same versions of Illustrator and After Effects (i.e. CS5 to CS5) I once found that trying to import an AI CS4 file into AE CS5 removed those very options you mentioned first.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]