FORUMS: list search recent posts

Merit Badge Textures

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Thompson
Merit Badge Textures
on Dec 28, 2011 at 10:28:22 am

I'm really interested in making badges to award students during the school year. Right now, I am experimenting with some different designs. I would really like to make some badges that look like merit badges or the badges from Project Noah. How would you go about making a texture like that (ie ribbed outer edge with shading and the light green strip texture of the middle part of the leaf). Thanks for any help.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lgal03psZL1qa6hvgo1_400.png

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: Merit Badge Textures
on Dec 29, 2011 at 6:53:01 am

While it's possible to create it in AI, you chose the hard way to go about it. Enclosed is a file for idea (CS5 version). I just created the outer circle, but the rest can be similar method.

You basically create a brush (pattern) and use that as the design, scaling it down when it is applied to the circle. Since you cannot have gradients in a brush, you have to fake it by creating a blend and expanding it, before creating the brush. This goes for the transparency mask as well (which is used in the file).

As for the green areas, they are just patterns that when are scaled, will appear small and elaborate.

File:
3467_badge.ai.zip

Return to posts index

Greg Thompson
Re: Merit Badge Textures
on Dec 29, 2011 at 2:44:23 pm

Thanks so much for your help. I learned a lot by picking apart the file and trying to apply it to the different badges. I've even managed to work on the background pattern for the main part of the badge.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]