FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live Trace with Transparent Background?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Jarvis
Live Trace with Transparent Background?
on Dec 16, 2011 at 9:05:28 pm

I have a PNG created in Photoshop with a transparent background. The problem is when I use Live Trace in Illustrator it creates a white background. I have tried using the direct Direct Selection tool to remove the white background but this causes portions of the image to be removed also. Is there anyway to stop Live Trace from creating the white background? or perhaps there is another workaround? It is quite frustrating.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Live Trace with Transparent Background?
on Dec 16, 2011 at 10:43:47 pm

Maybe after you trace, do Object / Expand.
Then click on the white with the direct select tool.
Then Select / Same / Fill Color, and delete.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Alex Jarvis
on Dec 17, 2011 at 5:43:37 pm

Well I tried that but it deleted all of the white in the image. Maybe I am going about this wrong? I am trying to turn a photo into comic-style, but it must be vector. I thought the Live Trace would be adequate but I guess I need to find another way. If you or anyone else reading this could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks so much.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Dec 17, 2011 at 7:05:50 pm

Maybe try adding a key color layer under the main layer of the PNG, before opening it in Illustrator. Like pure RGB green, or any color that is not in the image.
Then delete that color from the expanded trace.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Alex Jarvis
on Dec 17, 2011 at 7:33:36 pm

Ok I tried that also but when I use the Live Trace feature, it turns the photo to black and white (which is what I want), but then the background is white also which results in portions of the image being deleted along with the background, as before.

Can I remove the background in Photoshop after using Live Trace and still keep it as a vector image?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Dec 17, 2011 at 10:26:03 pm

Any chance you could upload your image?

Vince

Return to posts index

Alex Jarvis
on Dec 18, 2011 at 1:41:26 am

Here it is:

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/62/skateboarder.png

Return to posts index

Alex Jarvis
on Dec 18, 2011 at 1:40:36 am

Here it is:

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/62/skateboarder.png

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Dec 18, 2011 at 2:35:09 am

You are surely doing something wrong. As you can see the image below, it was just a simple live trace. The result is a black and white image, where I selected to make the white transparent, thereby placing a red rectangle behind the traced image making it red. But I could've colored the rectangle with any color (including white) if I wanted.

Tracing Options dialog settings. Only the "Ignore White" checkbox is important. Other settings don't affect the background.

Return to posts index

Alex Jarvis
on Dec 18, 2011 at 2:44:50 am

Just to clarify, I am trying to do a Live Trace without the added white background, or removing the white background without removing the white portions of the image.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Dec 18, 2011 at 5:59:51 am

Well, that's even simpler. You do a color trace. That will preserve the transparency. Then you export it to PS and change it to B&W.

Return to posts index

Alex Jarvis
on Dec 18, 2011 at 7:13:29 pm

That doesn't give the same 'threshold' look that I need. Thanks anyways les and Vincent but I have decided to tackle this another way. It won't be as good as vector but I think it will be good enough.

Return to posts index

Ann Duran
on Sep 29, 2012 at 4:51:48 pm

"Ignore White" did the trick for me. Thanks so much for your help.

Return to posts index

louise best
on Jul 2, 2014 at 9:54:13 am

totally worked for me, exactly what I was looking for.. Thank You!

Return to posts index

Melanie Fitts
on Jun 17, 2012 at 11:35:59 pm

this was exactly what i was looking for! This worked perfectly! Thanks

Return to posts index

Joy Manoleros
on Oct 17, 2013 at 7:52:28 pm

I found this post via a web search on the same issue. It worked like a champ, thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]