FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compound paths/fonts

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Lucas
Compound paths/fonts
on Nov 22, 2011 at 12:00:58 pm

Been sent an IA file where the text is made up of compound paths. I have to edit the text to take away some of the finer detail so I can use the paths in C4D. Is there any easy way to find out what the font is I have selected the text and chose find font but nothing comes up. Is it the case once text is converted to become a compound path it kind of rasterizes that layer so you can't revert back like in Photoshop? Is there a way to find out what the font is?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Compound paths/fonts
on Nov 24, 2011 at 8:45:42 pm

I'm not sure if there's a way to recover text objects, after they've been converted to outlines.

One thing I like to do with my AI files, when I need to outline text, is to duplicate the artwork outside of the artboard, before outlining, so there is always live text in the file.

Ideally, you could contact the designer and get a live-text version of the file.
Or, you could isolate a line of the 'text', save it as a jpeg, then try using whatthefont or identifont to determine the font.
You could even post a picture of a portion of the text here, so we can guess the font.
Then, if you have a lot of text and hate typing, like me, you could isolate the 'text' in the AI file (text on white), save it as a PDF, then open the file with Acrobat pro to use OCR so you copy out the newly generated text.

And I guess, depending on what you are doing in C4D, you might just paste the live text directly into C4D.

Just some ideas. Not ideal, but something.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Marc Lucas
Re: Compound paths/fonts
on Nov 26, 2011 at 12:08:47 am

Thats for your thoughts. I have sorted it now I didn't realise that when you just export the whole set of layer from inside AI, even though the text layer were compound layers, that they showed up in C4D ready for editing (extruding).

Thanks for the reply!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]