FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to calculate distance using document screen zoom?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Diego Daly
How to calculate distance using document screen zoom?
on Nov 15, 2011 at 2:49:17 am

Hey, I'm working in a big illustration with text (5,6 mts x 3,3 mts / 18 x 10 feet) and one thought came to my mind.
Am I using the font size just too big or small? I read somewhere that 160pt is readable from long distance (across a room).

So, I was thinking in how to calculate at what distance am I watching my illustration if I'm looking at it at 16,67% zoom?
That way I can tell if I can read something in the design or not at an specific distance.

Any ideas on how to calculate that?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: How to calculate distance using document screen zoom?
on Nov 17, 2011 at 5:51:49 pm

I'd just google 'font size distance chart'. You'll get general guidelines, but you'd still have to consider how readable different fonts are, how much contrast you have between the fonts and the background, how busy the background is, etc.
Ideally, you'd need to know the distance ranges for the sign that you're making.

Possibly go to the locations and take pictures of the space.

Using formulas can help, but in the end all that matters is - does the design work, does it perform it's function.

Just some ideas.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]