FORUMS: list search recent posts

Grayscale or CMYK in Illustrator?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louisa Monfassa
Grayscale or CMYK in Illustrator?
on Oct 20, 2011 at 4:41:17 pm

I have a work in Illustrator that has both black and colored text as well as objects, should all of it be in CMYK or the black be in Grayscale and the colored in CMYK?

(things to be printed)

Many thanks for help!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Grayscale or CMYK in Illustrator?
on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:11:50 pm

I'd make all of the colors CMYK.
Try a test print on a similar material.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Louisa Monfassa
on Oct 21, 2011 at 6:57:06 am

So everything I do should be in CMYK either its colors (like blue, red, green) or black?
Is it ever a good idea to mix CMYK and grayscale objects on one work? Or should everything be the same (like everything in CMYK or everything in grayscale)?
Many thanks for helping!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Oct 21, 2011 at 11:55:57 am

Generally, I'll always try to match the colors to the colorspace or color mode.
If I'm creating a logo or anything that could potentially be used in offset, spot, or other traditional printing process, I'll use Pantone or CMYK colors in a CMYK file.
It just depends on what medium you are outputting to, and what the requirements of the process are.
A large-run printing operation may require or suggest that you use all CMYK colors.
If it's only for web or inkjet, you might be able to achieve better color with RGB colors in an RGB file.

I would keep everything the same. If you need CMYK for a CMYK output process, use CMYK colors.
I personally have never had a good reason to use a 'grayscale' black, or the registration black.
I always use Pantone for logos and materials that will be printed. Generally this means that I'm working on a more profitable job. In this case, I might use a CMYK color only if I can't produce the right color or I can't make a gradient work properly, but this is a rare circumstance. So, in that situation I'd have a mix of Pantone/Spot colors and CMYK. But never RGB and CMYK.

If I'm forced to use an RGB raster image in a logo or something to be traditionally printed, I'll first convert it to CMYK, before bringing it into the CMYK project file.
This can requires a bit of print testing and adjustments to the raster image, to make it print well, as sometimes RGB images look very dull when used in a CMYK project.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Louisa Monfassa
on Oct 21, 2011 at 12:09:24 pm

Sorry to disturb again but i made the lines for the bleed but i cant drag my working space/dokument im working on out to the bleed lines to make the bleed color the same as the work im doing. Do you please know how to do this?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Oct 24, 2011 at 2:12:58 pm

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I'm not clear on your question. Could you state it another way, or upload an example file?

Vince

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]