FORUMS: list search recent posts

3d mirror reflection for cube

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Bond
3d mirror reflection for cube
on Oct 15, 2011 at 4:40:41 am

Hello, I've got a question about adding 3d mirror effects for cubes that's been troubling me for hours.

I need to create a reflection as though the cube is sitting on a glass table, so I need the reflection to look something like these:

I've tried using the y-axis reflect function but it's creating a symmetrical image, not a mirror effect, meaning the lines of the reflection are going away from the lines of the cube. Sort of like this:

I've looked everywhere for a tutorial, but all the tutorials I can find all suggest using the y-axis reflect function.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: 3d mirror reflection for cube
on Oct 16, 2011 at 1:19:36 pm

I can't say for sure, but it looks like the examples you're showing were probably created in a 3D app. That would probably be the best route to creating something like that.

The next option might be, presuming that you're working with rasters, to create the effect in Photoshop. Isolate each panel and Edit / Transform / Distort.

If you're working with vectors in AI, I guess there would be a number of approaches.
One might be, again to isolate the panels. Create a 'top object' in the appropriate shape, then Object / Envelope Distort / Make With Top Object.
Or maybe you could rotate each of the panels with a 3D Effect.
You might even be able to use the Free Transform tool to help with creating something like this.

Those are just some ideas.
You can do this in AI, but I think this task would be better suited for a raster-dedicated app like Photoshop or Cinema 4D. Especially if your source materials are raster.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Craig Bond
Re: 3d mirror reflection for cube
on Oct 16, 2011 at 1:27:27 pm

Thanks, Vince. Seems when I'm just starting to get more comfortable using Illustrator, I have to look at Cinema 4, ha =)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]