FORUMS: list search recent posts

layer within a layer

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Victor Nguyen
layer within a layer
on Oct 7, 2011 at 3:26:51 am

I have a graphic and illustration class in high school. What I do to organize my work is to put layer with in layers. In example if I'm doing a body project. I would have fingers in one layer, hands in one layer, and arms in one layer. Then they would all be in one layers call right hand. However my teacher insist that I do not put layers in layers. So if I'm doing a really complicated work I would have 100 layers or so and I would have to scroll up and down forever to find the layer I'm looking for. To me it's a much simpler way of working. What's your opinion on this?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: layer within a layer
on Oct 7, 2011 at 10:34:33 pm

When you're on your own, it's good to develop systems that work for you, as you are doing. It seems like a good idea to nest your components into their own layers.
But, your teacher might have some other reason for not nesting components. Maybe it's easier to see all of the parts of your file. I'd ask them, to see if that is the reason.
Maybe, for now, you should just do it the way that they want. Or ask them specifically if they think that their system seems appropriate in your situation.

Something that might help a little bit might be to go into the Layers panel drop-down menu and select Panel Options/Row Size: Small.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]