FORUMS: list search recent posts

import photoshop file into illustrator without quality loss

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nitin Gadia
import photoshop file into illustrator without quality loss
on Sep 27, 2011 at 11:18:36 pm

I want to print an oversized image, on multiple sheets and illustrator does this nicely:
http://www.art.ucla.edu/digitalstudio/pdfs/tiling_illustrator.pdf

However, when I open the photoshop file in illustrator, the image is grainy. How can I import it as-is, without quality loss?

I've also tried a png with good quality, to the same effect...

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: import photoshop file into illustrator without quality loss
on Sep 28, 2011 at 2:13:07 am

Generally, it's not so much about what it looks like on screen, but how it prints or exports. Just make sure you're in the correct color mode - RGB or CMYK.
I'm pretty sure Illustrator's not imposing any quality loss. 99% Of the time it's not a problem with Illustrator, it's the process.

Are you resizing the raster image inside Illustrator, or adding any effects or anything?
Is the raster image of sufficient resolution, to print as large as you intend it be?
Are your PDF settings downsampling your images?

Try a print or export, and let us know if there are still any issues.

I opened the PDF, and I'm not sure that I see what the issue is.
If it's the screenshots, it looks like you're using 72ppi images. I'd try changing the image size in PS to 150ppi or 300ppi WITHOUT resampling, then replace them in the IA project file. They will be much smaller in the AI project, but they are low resolution images.

So you can either scale down your page sizes to better match the resolution of your images, or you can use low resolution images like you have been.
Otherwise you might want to keep your Illustrator project in a project folder. Then create a 'source' or 'res' folder inside that, a nested resource folder. Then keep all of your raster images in the 'res' folder. Save all of your raster images as TIF/LZW or PSD.
Then you File/Place the raster images into the AI project, instead of pasting them.
This way, you can experiment by editing the linked images in Photoshop, upscaling the images with different sampling techniques until you find something that meets your requirements.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Nitin Gadia
on Sep 28, 2011 at 5:06:05 am

hahahaha
that was not the image i was wanting to do, it was instructions on how to print on multiple sheets...
In any case, you answered my question. It does look grainy in Illustrator, but it's not when you print it.

Do you know why it's like this, out of curiosity?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Sep 28, 2011 at 6:52:53 am

I couldn't explain the nuts and bolts of it, but Illustrator doesn't continually rasterize for on-screen display the way that Photoshop does.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Nitin Gadia
on Sep 28, 2011 at 3:09:42 pm

To summarize, when opening an image file, whether a PSD or a PNG or whatever, the image may look grainy on screen compared to how they look in other programs, because illustrator does not continually rasterize for on-screen display. When you save the image as a pdf or print it, as I did, it comes out as it does in the other programs.

Return to posts index

Bianca Stillwood
on Jan 18, 2012 at 11:21:37 am

Could you tell if this banner software can handle with PDF, i'm totally newbie, sorry

Return to posts index

Nitin Gadia
on Feb 14, 2012 at 7:29:11 pm

this is not the right thread to ask this :)
Try posting it as a new topic in the Creative Cow forums
Let me know if you need any help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]