FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding a Stroke to a path distorts it.

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniël Louw
Adding a Stroke to a path distorts it.
on Sep 21, 2011 at 8:48:09 pm

Hello all.

I finished drawing the paths, but when I try to add a stroke, the path gets distorted. The thicker I make the stroke, the more it gets distorted.

I tried starting from scratch, but it still distorts. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Adding a Stroke to a path distorts it.
on Sep 21, 2011 at 9:39:19 pm

Hard to say. Almost sounds like you're using a brush or drawing with an appearance.

Try selecting the object then press 'D', or click the Default Fill and Stroke button in the tool palette, the two big overlapped squares at the bottom.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Daniël Louw
on Sep 21, 2011 at 10:44:52 pm

Can you please explain what you mean by drawing with an appearance?

I tried the default stroke as per your suggestion - same problem.

See attached for the file I'm working on. It's a bunch of unstroked and unfilled paths. When I select a path, and add a stroke with the Control panel, it distorts.

Note the paths in my file are unclosed for a reason. They are motion paths for After Effects :)

2980_logostroke.ai.zip

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Sep 21, 2011 at 11:36:01 pm

I'm afraid I can't see anything in the file, as I'm in CS4, the artboard is empty. I think that any artwork needs to be inside the artboard for older versions to see the art.
If it is in the artboard, try saving down to CS2 or something.

Regarding the Appearance. Open the Appearance palette, Window/Appearance. Now when you select an object you can see any effects that might be applied to the object.
However based on your last post I'd say that probably wouldn't matter, since you're using them for paths in AE. Though, I can't be totally sure about that.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Daniël Louw
on Sep 22, 2011 at 8:16:38 am

Your mention about the artboards put me on a hunch. I am using CS5, but all the artworks are on the artboard. So I saved it down to CS2 as you suggested. It fixed the problem. Saving it back up to CS5 made no difference and I can now add strokes without breaking anything.

I still do not know what caused the problem. I might raise the problem with Adobe themselves one day, but it's not that serious.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]