FORUMS: list search recent posts

Template workflow: Auto fill identical sections

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Weeden
Template workflow: Auto fill identical sections
on Aug 25, 2011 at 11:35:38 pm

Hi there

I have a template for a marquee. There are 4 sides to it, so I wondered if there is a way to duplicate the artwork from the first side onto all other sides...without doing them individually 4 times?

So if I select the roof, for example, and make it Red - can the other 3 roofs be 'linked' in some way, so they turn red too?

I have attached a sample of what the template looks like.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

S

2854_template.png.zip

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Template workflow: Auto fill identical sections
on Sep 21, 2011 at 11:46:19 pm

I realize this is an old post, but I'd try saving the component that you want to duplicate as a Symbol by dragging it into the Symbol palette.
Symbols can be simple, or complex, or pretty much anything that can open in Illustrator.

If there are any elements, like serial numbers or whatever that need to be different, you wouldn't include them in the symbol. You would just group them with the symbol on the artboard.

Then you just duplicate the symbol as many times as you need to, on the artboard.

If you ever need to make any adjustments to the symbol, you just double-click on it, make the edit, then double-click off it, and the edit will propagate throughout every instance of that symbol.

So, if you're making a map and you have 40 instances of a tent symbol, you just edit one of them and all of the other ones will update.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]