FORUMS: list search recent posts

EPS file with mysterious extra white box

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Sussman
EPS file with mysterious extra white box
on Jun 27, 2011 at 3:10:22 pm

I was given a logo in EPS format. When I import the logo into After Effects, a mysterious white box appears behind the logo. This problem happens when importing to PhotoShop too. I tried finding the offending layer but the white box is apparently not caused by any visible layer (although when I turn them ALL off, the box does disappear too). Illustrator is not my specialty and I can not figure out why this white mystery box appears or how to get rid of it. Can somebody please help me figure out how to make this file usable?

I've uploaded a modified version of the problem logo. All text has been removed (for privacy) and I added a big ugly green box as the bottom layer just to make the logo items show up better, but the bad white box is still behind everything.

2486_logoproblem.eps.zip

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
Re: EPS file with mysterious extra white box
on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:24:40 am

Are you sure you're saving it to the right format? I was able to place your logo in AE without any trouble. No white box to be found.

Return to posts index

Mike Sussman
on Jun 29, 2011 at 1:47:06 pm

That is as odd as my original problem. I don't know about saving any specific format, but I did try to import that very same file so I don't know why it would be different. Since the file is exactly the same, the only other differences I could think of would be the OS and the version of After Effects. Don't know if it matters, but I'm using iMac OS 10.6.7 and After Effects 5.5 (version 10.5.0). Seems like none of that should matter either. Really weird.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Jun 29, 2011 at 2:01:46 pm

Do not import the .eps file to After Effects, save it as an Illustrator file with pdf compatible content enabled.

Return to posts index

Mike Sussman
on Jun 30, 2011 at 3:18:08 pm

Yes, that helped. I converted it to an AI file and bam the mystery box was gone. I don't quite understand it but now I don't need to. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Jul 2, 2011 at 4:06:02 pm

.eps is an old format used for printing back in the 90's. Never intended to be used on broadcast media and no longer maintained by anyone, on its way out, it's always a healthy practice to convert it to something else before importing it into any other program.

Return to posts index

Crystal Brown
on Feb 7, 2014 at 6:53:16 pm

I had this same problem, so I thought I'd share my solution. The file I received was built using layers of effects, including drop shadows. EPS files do not support drop shadow transparency, so that's where the white box came from. Try ungrouping expanding appearances. This may reveal either a drop shadow or a stray box that is causing the problem. Delete that, and your white box should disappear.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]