FORUMS: list search recent posts

Map Art & 3D Objects

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Sizynski
Map Art & 3D Objects
on May 9, 2011 at 3:05:13 am

Hi all,
I am trying to create Map Art that creates a texture of ancient/medieval masonry and roofing, along the lines of that created in this youtube clip:

I've heard that in regards of adding the map art onto a 3D object, the image should be rasterized, otherwise the vectors "stretch out" (not in a pixel sense) and this has been my experience so far.

Thanks to any and all advice!

P.S. As an ever bigger caveat, I'm trying to figure out how the maker of the video the youtube links to created a layer that adds the "grunginess" first seen at 5:07 or so into the clip.

Return to posts index

Andreas Sizynski
Re: Map Art & 3D Objects
on May 9, 2011 at 5:25:15 am

Here's an example of what I am trying to do, and my current frustrations. As seen from around 1:18 into the video clip, the creator uses what looks to be a simple map art of a number of parallel lines to create a good-looking roof.

Here is my imitation and the result.

[IMG]http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb289/teh_Mac/help.png[/IMG]

Note the Raster effect was applied at 300dpi (I set it manually; the standard in CS 5 is 72 dpi).

The raster was then added to the symbols library, from which it was added as map art for that particular segment of the building model.

As you can see, it's incredibly blurry and doesn't look anything like the roofing effect achieved in the youtube clip.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]