FORUMS: list search recent posts

Making text layers individual layers and importing them into ae

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
meilliona truong
Making text layers individual layers and importing them into ae
on Apr 28, 2011 at 12:20:38 am

So for a motion graphics class we had been assigned a project where we had to make our own text animation. We were suppose to import the fonts from AI into AE (after effects). Somehow my layers are still clumping together which is making me unable to manipulate each text and i'm wonder if it's because my 'layers' on ai' have the sublayers which is the actual text.

Im wondering how to fix that now. Is the sublayers suppose to be layers?

If so nothing online is helping me. I"m ready to smash my head with a hammer. (two hours of looking for help online and asking people for help. (while dealing with horribly strong body sprays))

Return to posts index

sergio juyak
Re: Making text layers individual layers and importing them into ae
on Apr 28, 2011 at 6:42:51 am

AE will import AI artwork layer by layer. So if all you text is on one layer, AE will import that text as one object. AE doesn't recognize groups or sublayers. If you want to animate text word by word (or even character by character) you'll have to distribute your words or characters across unique layers before you import it into AE. For the record, AE has very powerful text animation tools. You might be better off generating your text directly from within AE. Anyone who does any serious text animation by importing AI artwork is sort of a chump.

Return to posts index

meilliona truong
on Apr 28, 2011 at 7:29:13 am

My layers were all 'released to layers (sequence) and made their own layers, and in my point of view sublayers within the individual layers. I'm not a fan or even an amateur at AI so I actually am giving up on trying to convert the files over.

The thing is is that my teacher told us that it would be easier for us to map it out then import the whole as layers from AI to AE.

Honestly I gave up. I don't care anymore so thank you for your help. I already started to work within AE because it's too much of a problem to work from ai to ae....though at least I have my text mapped out and such.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

sergio juyak
on Apr 28, 2011 at 6:01:43 pm

> My layers were all 'released to layers (sequence) and made their own layers

As i said, AE does not recognize sub-layers. You need to drag your 'released layers' out of their parent layer before AE will recognize them as individual layers. My technique is to do type layout in AI and then use that as a template to rebuild the text in AE. Ideally, AE would let you 'convert to editable text' with AI artwork, but for the time-being, that's only available to PSD artwork.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]