FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating Maps for Historical Documentaries

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Trevathan
Creating Maps for Historical Documentaries
on Apr 16, 2011 at 2:41:35 am

Hey everyone,

I am new to Illustrator so forgive my ignorance. I am doing research on a historical documentary and I am wanting to create some maps in Illustrator that I will animate in After Effects. I am basically wanting to have a map of Europe and then be able to zoom in on various countries and show movements of troops as they move along their campaigns. I would like the maps to have some sort of texture or some kind of high quality look not just a plain color. Like something you would see on the History Channel.

I have also seen where they would animate either icons that represent troop formations or they would use moving lines or sometimes a somewhat transparent shape that spreads over the map to show the forces moving.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I realize that this is a lot to ask in a forum post I am sure.

Thanks again,

Shaun

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: Creating Maps for Historical Documentaries
on Apr 17, 2011 at 4:08:27 am

[Shaun Trevathan] "I am new to Illustrator... I realize that this is a lot to ask in a forum post I am sure."

What exactly are you asking? Are you asking someone to do the project for you, or are you asking something specific? It sounds like you want to build a house but you never built one before so you are asking for help. That's a tough one. If YOU want to build a house, you need to learn the basics, how to read blueprints, building codes, do a heck of a lot of research and so forth. Otherwise you just simply asking someone to build a house FOR YOU as opposed to helping you with specific ideas, eg. how to fit a window into an opening. See what I'm saying?

[Shaun Trevathan] "I have also seen where they would animate either icons that represent troop formations or..."
Are you asking help with animation as well?

You can create a vector outline of europe and/or countries you plan to use. You can import this AI file into AE and use it as a mask for the textures you plan to use for the countries.

How to animate in AE...well, that's a very broad subject. There are excellent books out there teaching basic animation techniques in AE. Or if you prefer video tutorials, you can check out places like lynda.com or digitaltutors.com.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]