FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic joining points error

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kurt murphy
Basic joining points error
on Apr 8, 2011 at 2:57:39 pm

I can't believe I couldn't find these in past forums... I keep getting the error when I try to join 2 separate points, "The selected objects cannot be joined as the are invalid (compound paths, closed paths, text objects, graphs, live paint)"

They are none of these - they're simply two separate paths which I've overlapped each end point over each other. I've also tried moving them apart a bit but I still get this error. Illustrator confounds me sometimes....

thank you,

kurt murphy

Return to posts index

kurt murphy
Re: Basic joining points error
on Apr 8, 2011 at 3:13:00 pm

As with a lo of pen issues with illustrator - I was able to join the paths in Photoshop, then bring the path back into illustrator as a closed object. I'd still like to hear some ideas on why I get the error.

I don't know why Illustrators' Pen Tool isn't as elegant as Photoshops' Pen Tool. last time I checked they were owned by the same company.

thank you,

kurt murphy

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Apr 8, 2011 at 4:04:36 pm

Post the file, or a stripped-down version that only has the problem components, and we will be able to tell you exactly what the problem is with your artwork.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

kurt murphy
on Apr 8, 2011 at 5:07:27 pm

Vince,

Thank you. I THOUGHT I might have seen where I had gone wrong - The path didn't contain any color, so I added black... Then I see where the problem lies. When I view it Outline mode the path is open (Command-Y), but when it's in Preview mode the path appears closed... Why is this?

I THINK the file is here: http://f1.creativecow.net/2165/join-paths'>2165_join.ai.zip
thank you,

kurt

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Apr 8, 2011 at 6:22:30 pm

Note, I'm in CS4 and the file is CS5, so there could be a difference between what we are seeing.

I guess, I can't speak to how you actually created the objects, but what I'm seeing is two objects, two closed paths.
I would use the Direct Selection tool to delete the the path in both objects that make the seam. Then use the DS tool again, select the top two joint points and Object/Path/Average, then Object/Path/Join.
Then do the same with the lower points on the seam (Average and Join).

A visual test you could do is to make two duplicates of an original closed object (the left or right side of your glasses).
Delete the 'seam' path in one, and leave the seam on the other.
Then add a stroke and increase the weight to like 10pt, and you would clearly see a difference in preview mode.

Basically, the 'end-points' wouldn't join because they weren't end points.
If you want to join objects, you can select both and:
Effect/Pathfinder/Unite or
Object/Compound Path/Make

I hope this is close to addressing your question

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

kurt murphy
on Apr 8, 2011 at 6:52:43 pm

Vince,

Thanks for your efforts, but it didn't work here - but it's okay, I brought the 2 paths into Photoshop and closed them there. The paths are open... You can see that they are in outline mode, but for some reason a line closes them in preview mode. I just don't why the path appears closed in Preview mode when it really isn't. In Outline mode only 2 points are selected when I try to join them.

The path WAS closed; I created one side then duplicated, flipped and tried to Unite the layers with Pathfinder, but THAT didn't work either (error saying to 'select 2 overlapping paths'- which they WERE).

thanks,

kurt

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Apr 9, 2011 at 7:49:32 am

You have two issues going on here. (I'm on PC CS5.) So first, you have some weird way of ending up with compound shapes. You have 2 groups of compound shapes, but they are not really compound. You can see that in the Layers palette.

To solve this, first select the first group (called 'Compound Shape', which contains a 'Compound Path'), then Object > Expand Appearance; then ungroup the result. Do the same for the other group. Now you end up with two simple closed paths.

And now here's your other problem, which you could see in the outline view in the original file. The lower anchors do not touch. When you zoom in you can see that:

You can fix that by doing an Object > Path > Average. Now you can grab the left and right sides and make a single compound path. See attached CS5 file.

File:
2166_glassframe.ai.zip

Return to posts index

kurt murphy
on Apr 13, 2011 at 1:32:31 pm

Les,

Wow, thank you for that answer.... The reason that it probably looked weird was that i created it in photoshop using the Pen too and exported the path to Illustrator (I frequently do this because I find photoshops pen Tool much more elegant than Illustrators). By opening up the compound path, I could see where the error was....

thank you!

kurt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]