FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator Export for Premiere

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Curt Pair
Illustrator Export for Premiere
on Apr 5, 2011 at 4:43:43 pm

I will admit, I'm not an Illustrator guru by any sorts... I just use it when I have to and kind of fumble through.

To that end, I'm having a problem. I'm creating vector graphics for Premiere and saving them as a CS5 file. I take the time to use the "presets" for HDTV, 1920x1080. Further, as most of these are lower thirds, I create them with the title safe area in mind. When I import them into Premiere, they come in at odd sizes, like 1381 x 300... They are not "full frame" as I created them in Illustrator. When I place the AI files over video, they show up in the middle of the frame, and NOT in the lower third portion.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing incorrectly? I'm trying to create these in Illustrator, so that all I have to do later is "drop" them onto a time-line in Premiere.

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Sony ICE Team
F900/F800/F350/PDW700/EX1/EX3/D790/D600
Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 HD/Matrox
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: Illustrator Export for Premiere
on Apr 6, 2011 at 1:06:27 am

I'll check it when I get home (I don't have Premiere at work), but it sounds like your AI file is transparent at the upper two-thirds. So it's interpreting that only the lower third contains artwork, so it's omitting the transparent areas (which is the upper 2). That is why you end up the lower third being in the middle.

Return to posts index

Curt Pair
Re: Illustrator Export for Premiere
on Apr 6, 2011 at 3:04:33 am

Les,

Thanks for responding...

I've been pulling my hair out for over a year on this! It was driving me crazy! I've searched all over the net, forums, you name it. No answers.

Today, wouldn't you know it, an hour after my post, I found the answer! I somehow stumbled upon a older "Lynda.com" link from an Adobe forum for CS3...

You can import an Adobe Illustrator still-image file directly into a Premiere Pro project. Premiere Pro converts path-based Illustrator art into the pixel-based image format used by Premiere Pro, a process known as rasterization. Premiere Pro automatically anti-aliases, or smooths, edges of the Illustrator art. Premiere Pro also converts all empty areas into an alpha channel, so that empty areas become transparent.

If you want to define the dimensions of the Illustrator art when it is rasterized, use Illustrator to set crop marks in the Illustrator file. For information about setting crop marks, see Illustrator Help.

So now you need to make your selection in Illustrator, go to "object" then "make crop marks" and then enlarge the crop mark selection to the full-frame size of your video/preset. After that, go to "effects" and then use the crop mark selection there. Save the file.

Open Premiere, import and VIOLA! The entire 'graphic' as designed in Illustrator appears! It's ready to lay down on the time-line, all good to go, no further adjustments need to be made.

This was a long and tedious process to find the answer. Perhaps I gave up too quickly before, just needing to continue working on the task at hand. Today, I was tenacious about finding the answer once and for all!

Curt Pair
Picture This Productions
Sony ICE Team
F800/F350/PDWF3/F900/PDW700/EX1/EX3/D790/D600
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 HD/Matrox Axio
DSCLabs|Nexto NVS 2500|Convergent-Design nanoFlash|GoPro|Westcott
Phoenix, AZ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]