FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edges cut off when exporting to JPG or BMP

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Susan Peach
Edges cut off when exporting to JPG or BMP
on Mar 4, 2011 at 3:37:00 am

I'm using an older version of Illustrator CS 11.0.0 on a newer Mac running OSX 10.6.4. I've created three files of different sizes for a DVD project: artwork for the DVD at 118 mm square, cover sheet at 274 mm x 184 mm, and insert at 127 mm x 184.15 mm.

I need to export in either jpg or bmp format to upload the files, as these are the only two formats accepted by the duplication house. Exporting seems to go fine, but when I open the files in preview to double check, I get mixed results.

The DVD artwork is perfect and looks exactly as it should.

The cover sheet is cut off on both the left margin and the top margin. This happened with both the jpg and bmp export. Interestingly, the inspector says the jpg file is 300 dpi, but the bmp file says the resolution is 299.92 dpi even though I saved it at 300. Don't know if this has anything to do with the issue.

The insert appears cut off on the top and the right side, which is interesting given that the other file is cut off on the left, and the first file is just fine. Doesn't make sense as it seems to be random.

Any ideas on what's happening and how I can resolve the issue?

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: Edges cut off when exporting to JPG or BMP
on Mar 4, 2011 at 8:28:10 am

I assume your artboard dimensions are set to the correct size and adjusted for bleeds (if any).

Are you using the File > Export function? And if so, do you have the "Use Artboard" checkbox selected in the export dialog? Which CS is v11? Was it the first CS edition (CS1)? Because it might not have that checkbox in the export file dialog.

If I remember correctly, that version did not have an adjustable artboard, but you either had to specify the artboard dimension in the document settings, or you had to create a rectangle and set it as the crop area. Since it has been a long time ago I've used that version, I don't remember if the crop area is being ignored during file export (provided you are using that method).

Assuming the artboard is set correctly, you can try to create a rectangle of the desired size and set it as the crop area, then export. Again, I don't remember unfortunately, so I'm just doing this blindly.

Return to posts index

Thie Thomsen
on Mar 4, 2011 at 3:33:33 pm

Use a crop area, and make sure that this area is the exact amount of pixels you want the exported bmp to have. What you are seeing is probably due to antialiassing and interpolation because of illustrator compensation for half-pixel sizes.

If your version has pixel preview, you could try enabling it. You should be able to see what the effects or rasterizing would be beforeehand.

---
I can see your spot colours...

Return to posts index

Susan Peach
on Mar 4, 2011 at 10:10:51 pm

Thanks Thie, that was a quick and easy fix and all's well now. Much appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]