FORUMS: list search recent posts

export groups to Photoshop layers

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Tannenbaum
export groups to Photoshop layers
on Feb 15, 2011 at 7:44:23 pm

First: I don't really know how to use Illustrator. I have Illustrator CS. Someone gave me a file that only has one layer but contained within that one layer are many, many groups. Is there a way to export, to Photoshop, those groups as individual layers? Preferably one PSD file with many layers.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: export groups to Photoshop layers
on Feb 16, 2011 at 6:31:30 am

>>First: I don't really know how to use Illustrator
That's a problem right there.

Well, I don't remember what CS have - since that's a tad old, but maybe this workflow remained the same (I'm on CS4 and CS5). Anyhow...

1. First ungroup all groups. You may have to repeat the Ungroup command a couple of times depending on how they are grouped. If there are elements that you DO NOT want to have separate layers assigned in PS, then do not ungroup those.

2. Click/select (hilite) the very topmost layer.

3. In the Layer's palette popup menu select "Release to Layers (Sequence)". This will group every individual object/shape into a group. And every group will be a separate layer in PS.

4. Now File > Export > PSD

Now you should have each item/element that was in a group on a separate layer.

Return to posts index

Christina Rodriguez
on Feb 16, 2011 at 11:36:18 pm

I have this archaic version.

Go to FIle >Export. Select PSD or Photoshop

then in options select write layers. make sure all of the boxes are checked (except maybe embed ICC profile). Make sure to choose the correct resolution.

Thant should work.

C.R.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Feb 17, 2011 at 11:49:17 pm

This will not work if you want to preserve groups as layers. It will only preserve layers as PSD layers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]