FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to increase print size horizontally of DVD cover

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenneth Sutton
Trying to increase print size horizontally of DVD cover
on Feb 15, 2011 at 5:34:01 pm

I've been assigned to print out DVD labels for my company and have been using Illustrator to print them out. Every time I get a jpg created in Photoshop to print out, it prints it out the dimensions correctly vertically (7 3/16 in.) but it doesn't horizontally. It prints out 10 8/16 in. when I need it to print out 10 9/16 in. When I try to increase the width horizontally on the options bar on the print tab, all it does is blows up the DVD cover pic without actually increasing the size horizontally; it's still 10 8/16 in. but within that space the pic is larger. I need to widen the print border from 10 8/16 to 10 9/16 in. but I can't find out how. Can someone tell me how to increase the print space horizontally in AI. I know it's a minor difference in size but when you're making DVD covers, you want to be as professional as possible; thanks.

Kenneth

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: Trying to increase print size horizontally of DVD cover
on Feb 16, 2011 at 6:21:13 am

Your description is a little confusing to me. You start out talking about PS, but then you go onto adjusting the print size in AI. So are you working in PS or in AI? Also, at one point you mention labels (that goes on the actual DVD), at another point you mention cover (which goes into the case). Not that it really matters but I can't get a grip of what exactly you printing and what program you use.

If you work in AI, you'd increase the print size using the artboard, but that is adjusted differently depending on which version of AI you are using - which you didn't say.

Are you printing in commercially or just in the office on an inkjet or something similar?

Regardless of which program you use, the workflow would be similar. First you specify the document size, which would be the size of your cover. You also need to take bleeding into consideration, if you need that.

Then just setup guides from the sides inward, and use them as precise measuring of the dimensions.

The artboard/document setup would be different depending on commercial or just home inkjet printing. For commercial bleeding in PS you would create the document size that incorporates the bleed area, then you'd mark it with guides where to trim. In AI you'd setup the artboard to the actual size of the cover and the bleed would fall outside of the artboard - which you'd mark with guides.

For home/office inkjet printing you need to remember that those printers don't do bleeding (usualy) so you need to print on a bigger paper that you can trim.

But missing out just on 1/16 of an inch is kinda strange. Not sure if it's a setup error on your behalf, or is this some sort of program bug. Altough I've never run into this, and did CD/DVD covers and labels in both programs.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Sutton
Re: Trying to increase print size horizontally of DVD cover
on Feb 16, 2011 at 8:46:52 pm

Adobe Illustrator CS3. The DVD cover, excuse me, is made in Photoshop. After it is created and saved, I open the file into Illustrator to print it. It is an office setting with home size printers. No bleed. Okay I will use these tips to see if I could change the print space and will see if I have any more questions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]