FORUMS: list search recent posts

intersecting paths in illustrator

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ted harisson
intersecting paths in illustrator
on Jan 16, 2011 at 12:37:55 pm

Hi
I am new to Illustrator and I have quite a basic question.
I have a curve and I want to sort of weld an endpoint of another line to it so that when I move the curve, that point would stick to it.

What happens now is that the curve and the other line are seperated, and that point is basically just lying on top of the curve using the snap to guides option. Since the curves share different stroke attributes (width specifically), the connection between them is very ugly and not natural.

Thanks !

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: intersecting paths in illustrator
on Jan 16, 2011 at 6:32:03 pm

Object > Path > Join

Return to posts index

ted harisson
on Jan 16, 2011 at 7:49:32 pm

thanks les,
but no go.
Object-> path -> join only connects two points, that have only one line coming out of them, together.
Is there a way to make one point have three lines coming out of it ?

Because my problem is that I need three (or more) lines coming out of one point, where the strokes endings won't be showing on the intersecting part.

If I have say a horizontal line, and a thick line is intersecting it in the middle in ,say, 45 degrees.
If the stroke of that line is big enough, it would show through in the point of intersection which is very ugly.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Jan 16, 2011 at 8:02:49 pm

You can only connect 2 anchor points together.

You can fake "connecting" more anchor points or lines together, but they never actually be "welded" or connected and thus they will never form a single solid line.

You can fake such a connection that you mentioned (horizontal line + 45 degree join) by tapering the connecting line's end.

Then you can either group the two lines or make them a compound path. However, either way you look at it, they will not be a single connected/joined lines.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Jan 16, 2011 at 8:22:46 pm

Illustration

Return to posts index

ted harisson
on Jan 16, 2011 at 9:32:42 pm

Thanks so much for the drawing les! So much clear now.
Could you just please let me know how I make a compund path please ?
Thanks again !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]