FORUMS: list search recent posts

Combining paths into single vector

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mario Quintana
Combining paths into single vector
on Jan 9, 2011 at 7:13:24 pm

Hello,

I am prepping an Illustrator file in order to animate in After Effects.

Working in Illustrator CS4.

The Illustrator file I have is a kind of "flourish graphic" with vines and various objects within the vines.

The problem I am facing is that the file is very big, about 200 MB, and seems to be built in a way that my system really chokes when trying to work within the project. I only have about 2 GB of RAM, but I have never had such trouble with Illustrator files.

What I am looking to do is make the file more manageable.

My various graphics are organized properly into different groups. I am thinking that being able to combine the various paths in the group and making them all one vector image would be the best option.

If anyone has any suggestions it would help me out a ton.

Thanks,

Mario

Return to posts index

Christina Rodriguez
Re: Combining paths into single vector
on Jan 10, 2011 at 11:08:25 pm

Are there brushes or special effects? If so, you need to expand all brushes and outlines before merging anything. AND if you do expend brushes, you need to go to Object>Path>Clean up to delete paths with no fill or outline so you don't get ugly results with the next step.

Then go to your pathfinder and combine the paths... I don't know if in the new Illustrator you have to expand the paths... In the version I use, I select the combine path and hold the option key concurrently so it expands at the same time it combines.

Capish?

C.R.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]