FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem With Using Intersect Tool on Text

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cammi McPherson
Problem With Using Intersect Tool on Text
on Dec 17, 2010 at 10:58:09 pm

Hey,

Im using Illustrator to make a watermark for my video. I am trying to make a shimmer over the top half of the text. I write the text and then put an overlapping ellipse and then select both, I then use the Intersect tool in the Pathfinder window to attempt and make the ellipse only show on top of the text. If this we to actually work i would then make it white and take down the transparency to make it look like a sort of reflection/shimmer.

But when i try to intersect the two shapes Illustrator tells me that they are not overlapping and nothing happens. I tried rasterizing the text and still nothing. This works fine with the background when the text is replaced with a rectangle.

Does anyone know whats wrond or an alternate way to do this?

Thanks,

Cammi

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: Problem With Using Intersect Tool on Text
on Dec 17, 2010 at 11:46:48 pm

Don't use intersect. Use something else, like crop, etc. Find one that cuts the text into half. You probably will need to carry out the action twice. Once to cut and keep the upper, and again to cut and keep the lower part of the text.

Return to posts index

Cammi McPherson
on Dec 18, 2010 at 2:16:43 am

Thanks alot, Got it now. Used a basic Clipping Mask with an ellipse, worked a charm. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Alex Vidanhof
on Dec 19, 2010 at 1:30:26 pm

The intersect filter tries to intersect all the selected shapes. A text converted to outlines is not a single shape, but rather a group of distinct shapes which really do not overlap. To make an outlined text suitable for intersection, you may ungroup it and convert it to a compound path (Cmd-8).

Return to posts index

Cammi McPherson
on Dec 20, 2010 at 8:20:50 am

Ok great, so i select the text, then ungroup it, and then convert it to a compound path and it should be intersectable?

Return to posts index

Alex Vidanhof
on Dec 20, 2010 at 9:53:48 am

Yes, exactly. First convert the text to outlines, then ungroup it and convert to compound path.
There's one possible problem with this solution: with some fonts holes may appear at the areas where letters intersect. To avoid these holes, it would be a good idea to apply Pathfinder Unite to the letters before ungrouping.

Return to posts index

Cammi McPherson
on Dec 21, 2010 at 8:12:01 am

Fantastic, so i do:
Type > Create Outline
Pathfinder > Unite
? > Ungroup
Pathfinder > intersect

Return to posts index

Alex Vidanhof
on Dec 21, 2010 at 9:24:05 am

Type > Create Outlines
Pathfinder > Unite
Ungroup
Make Compound Path
Intersect

Slightly complicated, but it makes the result most predictable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]