FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP and Motion don't recognize alpha

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Eells
FCP and Motion don't recognize alpha
on Dec 15, 2010 at 2:55:41 pm

I could swear I used to be able to do this, but I can't get Motion or FCP to recognize alpha in files that come from Illustrator. This goes for .ai files, as well exported .png and .psd files, although there appears to be an alpha channel, it is full raster and I end up with a with background, which I don't want.

I can't anything in the preferences of either Illustrator or Motion.

Anyone get any insight? Was it my imagination that this ever worked?

Return to posts index

Christina Rodriguez
Re: FCP and Motion don't recognize alpha
on Dec 15, 2010 at 6:00:34 pm

Open the file in photoshop and resave...

whenever I export an image out of illustrator. even if it is RGB, final cut won't read it. I have to open in photoshop re-save and viola. thats what works for me.

C.R.

Return to posts index

David Eells
on Dec 15, 2010 at 6:29:14 pm

Well, the odd thing is that vector art from PowerPoint works just fine, but if I then use Illustrator to make alterations, I lose the ability to have an alpha channel. Very perplexing.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Dec 15, 2010 at 7:19:06 pm

I am on Win, so never used FCP, but in AE you have to save AI files as PDF compatible ones, in order for AE to read them. Of course this has nothing to do with transparency, but I thought I just mention it. Maybe it gives a clue or something.

Return to posts index

David Eells
on Dec 17, 2010 at 2:42:56 pm

So I got hung up on the fact that in Motion, the Media Tab doesn't give you the typical None/Ignore, Straight, Black etc. Alpha dropdown for for Illustrator files. Motion still utilizes the alpha.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]