FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems Using the Clipping Mask function

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Sykes
Problems Using the Clipping Mask function
on Nov 27, 2010 at 11:53:21 am

Hi Newbie here,

I've looked at several youtube videos on how to use the clipping mask feature in Illustrator and maybe it's just me, but I still can't get my head around making it do what I would like it to.

I would easily be able to do this in Photoshop by highlight the text, then selecting the layer I wanted to delete from and simply hitting delete, but this clipping mask is stumping me.

Basically I would like to delete the word "CLOTHING" from the long sections of the 2 K's then replace the word "CLOTHING" slightly smaller so that you can see through the 2 K's...

Hope somebody can help me..

Wayne

1327_logo.ai.zip

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Problems Using the Clipping Mask function
on Nov 27, 2010 at 5:45:59 pm

Hello Wayne,

I'm sure there are a dozen approaches to doing this, but if I'm reading you correctly this is what I would do...

Pathfinder: Minus Back logob.ai.zip

Object/Expand Everything.

Ungroup Everything.
Select the K’s and Object/Compound Path/Make.
Group all of the whites, then Copy/Paste in Back, then Object/Arrange/Send to Back.
With the ‘Back’ whites still selected, shift-select the compound path K’s and Pathfinder/Minus Back

Pretty much, repeat step 2...
Select the black letters and Compound Path/Make.
Select the white compound path and Send to Back.
With the whites selected, shift-select the black letters and Pathfinder/Minus back.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Wayne Sykes
on Nov 28, 2010 at 3:35:14 pm

Hi Vincent,

Thanks for getting back to me...

This seems to be working to an extent. The only problem I seem to be having is when I use the Minus Back function, is extracts only the original shape of the letters excluding the stroke.

I really need to have the stroke included, so that when I overlay the original lettering there is the transparent space between the K's and the CLOTHING.

Return to posts index

Wayne Sykes
on Dec 3, 2010 at 11:15:46 pm

Just had to expand the text with the stroke twice and then follow the steps...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]