FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator shading technique

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nicho Valadez
Illustrator shading technique
on Oct 11, 2010 at 6:37:24 pm

Hi, I am looking for any help in achieving this shading technique in illustrator. If you know of any similar illustrator shading techniques or can offer any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

I am referring to the gradient shading on the image below.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Illustrator shading technique
on Oct 13, 2010 at 9:16:10 pm

I'm guessing you want to create the stipple shading, and not the shine that is in the inside of the clock.
If I had more time I would go into explicit detail, but at first thought I can think of two different approaches.

Raster
Vector

In both methods you would use components of the main structure as masks for the shading.

As vector, you would be creating a lot of points and paths.
Basically, you could create a scatter brush out of a dot or bunch of dots, then start brushing on the stipple just as you would do it by hand.

You could also look into the swatch libraries in the Swatches palette.
Swatches/Open Swatch Library/Patterns/...
You could even layer some preset dot fills to create stipple shading.
You'll probably have to rotate or distort some of the fills to get them to look right, but this technique can be quite nice.

As raster, you might create a hi-rez radial stipple, maybe even two or more versions, one with a dark center, one with a light center, then maybe a sort of curved version.
You could place these rasters in the file. You might try placing them into the swatches palette, then using them as fills in the main structure. Again, rotating as necessary, and using the main structure components as masks or simply filling them.

Any way you do it, it's gonna take some work.
There's a lot of data in the example art you are showing.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Nicho Valadez
on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:29:37 pm

Thanks Vincent... This would be the technique to achieve the look used for the gradient on the "BENNY GOLD" text?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:55:42 pm

This would be 'a' technique you could use...
1176_stipplecs4.ai.zip

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Mar 19, 2012 at 2:11:35 am

Example:

Vince

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]