pdf files in illustrator and placing pics

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ericka Ibarra
pdf files in illustrator and placing pics
on Sep 29, 2010 at 6:28:30 pm

Hi there

I have three questions, I hope you can help me please:

- When I place a picture (JPG) in illustrator, even the image is small, when i save it the file is big. Isn't there a way I can make it smaller? because sometimes I have to send files by email but those files have to be in a good quality for printing purposes.

- When I open a pdf file in illustrator the text is broken, if I want to edit text I have to go word by word or sometimes even letter by letter because the text line is not continued. Why? isn't there a way I can fix that, why does it do it?

- Also when I get a pdf file and I want to open it in illustrator but I dont have the font so what I try to do is save it in eps from acrobat but setting the text to "convert text in outlines", but i doesnt do it, keeps the text anyway when i open it in illustrator.

Hope you can help me please please, there is a lot of things that I cant explain why it happens.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: pdf files in illustrator and placing pics
on Sep 29, 2010 at 7:18:24 pm

Just a couple thoughts, I'm sure there are other options...

1 - Place the raster into the IA file instead of pasting it in. Then send a zipped package that includes the AI and the rasters.

2 - PDFs are for print and proofing, not design. You should be working with the source file that created the PDF.
Why??? I'm not sure exactly in your situation, but I suspect it has to do with version differences in the files and what settings were used when the document that was saved.
Here is a script to repair broken text...
http://vectips.com/tricks/10-free-and-extremely-useful-illustrator-scripts/

3 - Could be that the particular font has a licensing restriction.
Worst case scenario is to export a TIFF and use Trace to generate a vector, or if the resolution isn't large enough zoom in in Acrobat and take a series of screenshots, tile them together, then do the trace.

Again, just some options.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Ericka Ibarra
Re: pdf files in illustrator and placing pics
on Sep 29, 2010 at 9:22:42 pm

Wow!! thanks for the join text script, it is brilliant!!, was spending a lot of time trying to edit text :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]