FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding Texture to art without removing original color

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Lyons
Adding Texture to art without removing original color
on Sep 24, 2010 at 4:39:52 pm

I've been messing around with Illustrator and want to create this scale texture (see image) over my illustrations but I also want to keep the color of my illustrations and have scale texture added over it.

As you can see I've changed the transparency to SCREEN over the scales so the objects below show through. I've done a clipping mask but as far as I know it only replaces the illustration color solely with the texture, not mixing with the texture colors.

Was wondering how I can remove the excess texture (the stuff not inside the art work) while keeping the color of the art.
Any ideas?

http://yfrog.com/f3captureqcp

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Adding Texture to art without removing original color
on Sep 24, 2010 at 6:52:52 pm

If the texture is a raster, maybe you could try adding a grayscale version of the image to your swatches palette. Then, select your object and in the Appearance palette and add new fill layer and select the texture swatch as the fill, and maybe set the blending to multiply.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Nick Lyons
on Sep 24, 2010 at 7:43:51 pm

Thank you Vince. The first part did help. The texture successfully was added to my shapes, but I wasn't able to colorize the shapes without losing the texture. I tried to add a gradient but the gradient became the Fill over the texture.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Sep 24, 2010 at 8:04:24 pm

It sounds like you're almost there.
Just make sure you're adding the new fill layer with the Appearance Palette.
Then setting the blend mode to Multiply on the uppermost layer, from the Transparency palette.

In this example, just select one of the text objects and view its properties in the Appearance palette.

http://f1.creativecow.net/1121/illustrator-cs4-appearance-palette-layers

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Nick Lyons
on Sep 24, 2010 at 9:37:42 pm

ah! I see it now. I didn't add another fill to my Appearance Panel.

Thanks so much! You've saved me a huge headache

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]