FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to invert/put into negative only part of an image

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Cardew-Watts
How to invert/put into negative only part of an image
on Sep 7, 2010 at 8:41:43 pm

I'm trying to create a logo in illustrator (obviously) but i'm a newbie to the software and i've hit a brick wall with what i'm trying to acheive...

I've got a black cross spanning the whole canvas, overlaid on the horizontal line with text, also in black. I want the text (where the two elements cross over/overlap) to invert and show white, so the text swaps from black on a white background to white on a black (the cross) background, so it all stands out.

I'm sure there is an easy way to get the overlapping portions of the text to invert/contrast but i cannot for the life of me work out how!

I'm working across two layers at the moment with the text and the cross background each on a separate layer.

Help please!!!!!

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: How to invert/put into negative only part of an image
on Sep 8, 2010 at 12:18:32 am

There are a few ways to do it.

1. Expand the text (create outlines).

2. Cut the text where it meets with the black area. Now you will get 2 parts: the top part of the text and the bottom one. You can group them to create a "top" group and a "bottom" group.

Snap a line against the black shape - the red line - select the line, and Object > Path > Deivide Objets Below. Make sure you move the black shape a little away from the line before cutting, so the line won't cut the black shape as well - then you can move it back.

3. Fill the bottom white.

There you have it.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Sep 8, 2010 at 12:21:16 am

You can also do it by masking. Have 2 sets of the same type, one black the other white, then just mask off each half way. One of them will be masked at the bottom, the other is at the top.

However, this is more elaborate and complex. The first method at the top is faster and requires less resources.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Sep 8, 2010 at 12:25:55 am

And finally (more simple)...

1. Expand the text.
2. Select both the text and the shape (place them on one layer)
3. Select "Exclude" on the Pathfinder palette.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]