FORUMS: list search recent posts

moving objects from PS to AI

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Schaff
moving objects from PS to AI
on Aug 11, 2010 at 9:27:43 pm

Whenever I move an object from PS to AI it comes planted in a rectangular white box. How do I move it over while retaining the transparency of areas around and in the object?

Return to posts index

David Johnson
Re: moving objects from PS to AI
on Aug 13, 2010 at 5:01:16 am

It's hard to say what you might be doing wrong without knowing how you've tried to do it, but you can simply save an image with transparency from PS as a .psd, open that in AI and voila.

Perhaps you just need to "show transparency grid" in AI (SHFT+CNTRL+D).

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Aug 14, 2010 at 7:06:53 pm

Save it as a psd, png or tif format (bitmap).

Return to posts index

Edward Schaff
on Aug 17, 2010 at 7:40:20 pm

Hey, David. Thanks a million. That worked. I was just copy/pasting or dragging and dropping. I thought the adobe platform was more intuitive that that.
While I have you on the phone,the reason I even do that is because the effects I like in PS (bevel, emboss etc.) don't seem to be available in illustrator. Am I right?
Thx, Ed

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Aug 17, 2010 at 10:54:15 pm

Only a few of them work, drop shadow, inner glow, outer glow, for example. If you want something more complex such as an emboss you will need to create it by hand, but it's fairly easy, you can get away with it by adding additional fills to your main object and varying the opacity, then add a blur and displace it to one side, the other one should be displaced to the exact opposite direction and filled with the opposite color (i.e. black and white).

In my own experience dragging and dropping works better when it's done from Illustrator to Photoshop, but not the other way around, it's always to link photoshop files via the file>place menu.

Also if you google emboss in Illustrator you will find several ways to do it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]