FORUMS: list search recent posts

Printing in Illustrator

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louie Molina
Printing in Illustrator
on Aug 8, 2010 at 5:09:05 pm

Guys, can anyone tell me how to print in Illustrator without leaving the bleeds margin. I printed as a PDF file but when I go print on printer I get the bleeds margins. I would like for my document/picture to print without margins. Thanks

Return to posts index

Rob Dahl
Re: Printing in Illustrator
on Aug 9, 2010 at 6:31:12 am

There are many options to choose from for printing in Illustrator.

Just turn off the printer's marks. See attached ...

Then adjust the print size as needed in the General section.

Rob Dahl
Transparent Alchemy
Boulder City, NV 89005
http://www.transparentalchemy.com

Return to posts index

Louie Molina
on Aug 9, 2010 at 1:10:28 pm

Thank you for your help. No matter what I do, it still prints the same way...Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Aug 9, 2010 at 11:11:30 pm

What do you REALLY calling a bleed area? You won't be able to reproduce bleed on a normal printer. Most inkjet and/or office printers fall into the "normal" category. It means, that you cannot print bleed on printers unless it's either a commercial printer or a very expensive printer. You can buy inkjet printers (more expensive ones) that might support so called "borderless" printing, which refers to bleed. But it's not common.

So what I suspect happening in your case is that you are printing at a non-commercial printer (e.g. at home or at the office). Those printers ALWAYS have a slight margin around the edges of the paper. This is because the printer has to "grab" the paper at the edges in order to pull it through the printer.

Sure you can prepare a PDF document and you will see that it does not have any borders (or bleed if you prefer). But printing it on a non-commercial printer is a different story. The printer will either shrink or crop your design so it will fit onto the specified paper size. And the paper will ALWAYS have margins (white edges or bleed what have you).

Let's say you have a design of 8.5x11 size (standard US letter). If you want to bleed your print, you design it as 8.75x11.25 (this will add 0.125 inch bleed on each side of the 8.5x11 document). When you hand this to a commercial printer specifying that you have a 0.125 inch bleed, they will print it on a bigger paper and simply trim the edges (in this case 0.125 inches from each side). This way you will end up with an 8.5x11 document that is printed edge to edge. That is, no visible margins around the edges.

If you don't want to pay for a commercial printing, you can either print your design on a bigger paper (eg, print an 8.5x11 design on a 11x17 paper). And use a cutting board (or scissors) to cut around the edge.

Or, you can take your design to Kinkos or OfficeMax, etc and they can print you a bleeded document for relatively cheap.

Return to posts index

Louie Molina
on Aug 10, 2010 at 12:29:21 am

Thank you very much..That explains it all...I was going crazy with this thing...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]