FORUMS: list search recent posts

crop an image?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Fisher
crop an image?
on Jul 20, 2010 at 10:16:04 pm

OK, I've just completed a complicated black and white image in Illustrator CS4. There are a load of bits of shapes and stroked paths hanging off the edge of the artboard.

What I'd like to do now is crop the image to the size of the artboard. I don't want to just make a clipping mask, I'd like to completely crop off the excess.

So what I do is to make a rectangle to fit the artboard, put it on top of the layer stack, select everything and hit "crop" in Pathfinder. And the artwork messes up big time. all the stroked lines disappear, odd shapes fill in and bits of text also disappear.

How do I crop an image in Illustrator? I'm coming up against this time and again.

Thanks for your help.

Mac Pro, 10.5.8, 2x2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, GeForce 8800GT 512MB

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: crop an image?
on Jul 21, 2010 at 8:01:06 am

I'm guessing you might need to make *Multiple* clipping masks.

Or you could outline all of the paths and finish them using various Pathfinder tools.

It might take a bunch of extra work. Maybe not necessary unless this is going yo be used for a die cutting job, 3d spline, motion path or something.

Or you could try Effect/Secret Effects/Vector Awesomeizer. :)

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]