FORUMS: list search recent posts

AI CS5 brush tool and tablet

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham Macfarlane
AI CS5 brush tool and tablet
on Jul 13, 2010 at 11:35:51 am

In AI CS5 using a pen tablet, I'm trying to draw some lines with the paintbrush tool with pressure to vary the line thickness.
I can do this in AI CS4 without a problem but CS5 is a bit different and it's brush tool refuses to react to pressure sensitivity.

Here are the steps I took:
* Make new layer and set to active (clicked on dot on right of layer name)
* Select Paintbrush tool
* Brush definition = 3pt round
* Variable width profile = Width profile 1
* Draw with pen tablet (vary pressure)

The result is a 3pt line with no change in thickness.

What should I do?
thank for any help.

Graham

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: AI CS5 brush tool and tablet
on Jul 13, 2010 at 12:44:06 pm

Not sure if this is your issue, but in the past I've had tablets lose functionality when updating software because of driver issues.
Maybe the manufacturer has an update that is CS5 compatible?

Also, I noticed you're using an ADM Athlon 2000. It's probably an SSE processor (as opposed to an SSE2). If it is, you shouldn't have updated past CS2 - for AI and PS anyway. I can't remember what you lose in IA, but in PS you lose some Render filters, for instance.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Graham Macfarlane
Re: AI CS5 brush tool and tablet
on Jul 13, 2010 at 2:07:46 pm

Thanks Vincent for your response.

you made me realise I havn't updated my profile in over 5 years!! I'm actually using a i7 920 machine with a Geforce 9800 GT running Win7 64bit.

I also realised that my comment about being able to use the pressure sensitivity in CS4 was wrong. I was mistaking it for the brush for that tapers at each end (silly me!)

I did some more digging online and discovered that the solution is to double click the chosen brush definition to access a dialogue that has the pressure and variation controls.

Now everything works perfectly!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]