FORUMS: list search recent posts

how do you accomplish this?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Göran Thorén
how do you accomplish this?
on Apr 24, 2010 at 5:49:07 pm

Hi all!
I'm trying to create an aperture blade shape in Illustrator it's all good but I need the aperture blade to be striped and those stripe needs to meet at the end of the blade.
I tried to make a rectangle with stripes and warp it to the shape I need but I can't get it to work!! I just can´t get those stripes to come together at the end...
Can somone please explain a working method for this?

Husse

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: how do you accomplish this?
on Apr 24, 2010 at 8:54:59 pm

Show an example/photo of what are you trying to create.

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Apr 24, 2010 at 9:16:58 pm

Well if I had one I wouldn´t have a problem... ;)

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Apr 25, 2010 at 12:38:18 am

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Apr 25, 2010 at 8:30:42 am

Well than's Kind of the effect I'm I'm looking for!
The curvature is something like this and I need the stripes to warp like in your picture but I just can't make that happen!

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Apr 26, 2010 at 5:27:14 am

Actually it's quite easy. Refer to the illustration below.

1. Draw the blade outlines (figure 1). Note, that the 3 edges are 3 separate lines (as indicated by the 3 different colors. Do not join them.

2. Use the 2 side lines (red and green) and blend them together (Object > Blend > Make). Use the Blend Options dialog to adjust the steps as necessary. Expand the blend result (figure 2).

3. Make a copy of the blade outlines (as in figure 1) and join all 3 sides to make 1 single shape. Fill the inside white, stroke the outside black.

4. Use the blade created in the previous step (step 3) and composite it with the blended lines, created in step 2. Group the result. This will create a single blade.

5. Use the Rotate Tool to rotate the blade with the Copy option, to make as many rotated blades as needed. (figure 5). Note, in figure 5, that I've outlined the last rotated blade with orange, because that blade is special. You will have to create a mask to create the illusion as if that piece halfway behind the first, and halfway on top of the previous blade. (Refer to figure 3 and 4 how to create that mask piece.)

6. The final rotated pieces should look like figure 5. I rotated them 60 degrees to create 6 blades. Also, I created 2 circles and made them a single compound shape. This will serve to mask all the blades out, to arrive to the final shape in figure 6.

Return to posts index

Göran Thorén
on Apr 26, 2010 at 7:37:44 am

Allright, thank's a million Les Nemeth!
That is a great litte tutorial, you should post it on a tutorial site!

Now I'm off to make my blade. Once again, thank's so much for your help!

Göran

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]