FORUMS: list search recent posts

irritated with the gradients

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren Fetzer
irritated with the gradients
on Apr 9, 2010 at 10:29:10 pm

"When you make a suggestion, Adobe listens." -adobe

yea, right. listen yes... but follow through. no.

i don't know about you guys, but i suggested some very good improvement for illustrator, and sadly, i do not see them in CS4, and i HIGHLY doubt they're going to show up in CS5. what are they?

*fine tuning arrows for the gradient angle. because having to type numbers in just to tilt the gradient is a pain in the A**. also, we should be able to adjust the rate of rotation in increments; flexibility.

* strokes that have the colored line: inside, and outside the vector line should remain in that state after you've "cut" the vector line, instead of the edited line defaulting the colored line back to it's origin; in the middle of the vector line.

Return to posts index

John Stanowski
Re: irritated with the gradients
on Apr 25, 2010 at 4:53:09 am

That's the thing with Adobe. When they get around to adding something that's requested they either give you a new workaround, or a new tool that does way more than you asked... except what you originally asked for.

I've been asking for a free transform tool for ages. (And no, Envelopes don't do it.) Now in CS5 they've added this feature rich Perspective Tool or perspective something. But it still won't let you just grab corners and move them.

As for gradients: in CS4 they introduced the Gradient Widget which is a tool that overlays over your art and shows you your gradient and gives you controls right there. But's is a pain to work with as it doesn't behave the way you think it should. I don't think they corrected this for CS5.

2009 Intel MacPro
8 cores
16gig ram
Snow Leopard (up-to-date)
Adobe Master Collection CS4

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Apr 25, 2010 at 2:45:32 pm

There's been a free transform tool in illustrator for quite a few years now, what do you mean you've been asking for one?

Return to posts index

John Stanowski
on Apr 25, 2010 at 4:56:41 pm

Sorry, I was out of my mind then.
What I meant to say was Distort. Something like Photoshop's Distort command. I want to be able to grab any single corner of the bounding box and drag it anywhere, thus making a faux perspective.

2009 Intel MacPro
8 cores
16gig ram

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Apr 25, 2010 at 5:17:11 pm

That's available in illustrator too, there's two different ways to apply it, one the free distort effect and the second one the free transform tool on the tools panel. Both tools are used precisely to create faux perspective.

Return to posts index

John Stanowski
on Apr 25, 2010 at 5:31:13 pm

Well, the Free Transform effect only lets you work out of context. You need to perform the distortion in a little dialog without seeing your work against the rest of your project.

But the hold-command-key trick while dragging a corner with the Free Transform tool is what I was after. I was aware that you could do that and just looked it up. Once again AI hiding functionality behind a keystroke.

Thanks for that. That solves a lot of troubles for me.
I really do feel sorry for new AI users though.

2009 Intel MacPro
8 cores
16gig ram

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]