FORUMS: list search recent posts

cube design layout help

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Basso
cube design layout help
on Mar 3, 2010 at 7:54:36 pm

Hi, im currently a college student and working on an illustrator design project.
We have to create a cube layout design that has our initials on every square, as well as different colours for each square. The squares have to be 3x3 inches.
My main questions are:
1. How do i import a layout of a 2d cube layout in illustrator including the cube folds?
2. How do i change the size of the cube layout in illustrator?
3. How do i use colours for each square?
Your help is greatly appreciated,
Andrew Basso.

andrew

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: cube design layout help
on Mar 5, 2010 at 1:42:48 am

1. There's not much choice. Either File > Open, or File > Place. You can't miss it.

2. By scaling it.

3. By selecting each square and color it. DUH.

C'mon man, did you even put in ANY effort to read at least one sentence in the help file?

Return to posts index

Andrew Basso
on Mar 5, 2010 at 2:15:32 am

hey whats with the attitude? im just learning this stuff... i used the help file as much as i could, but didn't offer any help on cube layout designs.
and thats not really what my question was
I have a composite of an actual cube layout, but im not sure how to scale it. I used the pen tool to trace it and im not sure how to find the options to scale. I found that there "is command,(comma)" for preferences, but that didn't work.
and how do you get more cube layout designs...it only shows about 3 or 4 on illustrator. I would think that illustrator would offer layouts that have specific sizes like 2x2, 3x3 to fit your project needs.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Mar 5, 2010 at 7:42:46 am

Well, with the 'attitude', what it was is, you asked something so simple that even basic users seem to do this right out of the box - unless I am misunderstanding something. Naturally, I thought it's a joke of some sort. And of you are in college, they supposed to explain such basic tasks. So my apologies.

Also, how did you put together "preferences" and "command (comma)". What does this mean? Are we talking about the same program? Adobe Illustrator?

This is what a cube layout means to me.

Selecting each individual square and clicking on the color swatch will color them. Selecting all squares and double clicking on the scale tool will bring up the scale dialog which will scale all squares at the same time.

Return to posts index

Andrew Basso
on Mar 5, 2010 at 3:22:26 pm

My prof doesn't explain us how to do it...he just gives us the instructions and expects us to know. Alot of people have been using these programs for a while but I've just recently been starting out. Someone told me about the command comma, cause it opens up a box where you can change the sizing to cm, inches etc...but it hasn't worked for this.
and for the layout there are these flaps that he wants for the left, right and bottom squares. The scaling and getting the right flaps on the right squares are my biggest problems.
I notice for the scaling tool, it allows you to make the layout bigger or smaller, but doesn't allow you to input a specific size like 3x3 inches.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Mar 5, 2010 at 5:05:11 pm

To set inches:
1. Show the rulers (View > Show/Hide Rulers)
2. Right click on the rulers and select "Inches"

To create 3" x 3" squares:
1. Double click the Rectangle tool and input the params
2. Click "OK"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]