FORUMS: list search recent posts

Has to be easy - Live Trace Options

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Benson
Has to be easy - Live Trace Options
on Jan 10, 2010 at 7:15:22 pm

I have some clip art that I pasted into a new illustrator document. Reading the integrated help and the CS4 classroom in a book, it appears there should be a Tracing Option dialog box. The book makes it sound like there is an icon button in the control panel (which I don't see), and the on-line help says to use the drop down arrow next to the 'Live Trace' button and choose 'Tracing Options'. I do see the drop down and the 'Tracing Options' selection, but that particular selection is grayed out. All of the other choices in the drop down(e.g. default, color 6, grayscale, comic art, etc.) are selectable and work.
When I choose one of the settings, the artwork is vectorized, but I want to play around with it in the dialog box as it seems to provide some quick previews and other settings.
Any thoughts?

Thank you,
Pauley

Return to posts index

John Mensinger
Re: Has to be easy - Live Trace Options
on Jan 11, 2010 at 4:29:04 pm

Not sure what's going on with your Live Trace items on the Control Panel, but if all else fails, it's also on the Object menu.

Don't forget; as the name implies, Live Trace is live. Even if you apply it with settings you didn't choose, you can access the Live Trace Options dialog after the fact and make changes.

John M:
All of the vim with none of that annoying vigor.

Return to posts index

Paul Benson
on Jan 12, 2010 at 6:07:03 pm

Thanks Jim, but that is grayed out, too. Based upon your email I tried again and even applied a trace to the picture. Since it was 'Live' I thought I may be able to then access the options panel. No luck, still grayed out. The only options in that drop list are 'Release', 'Expand', 'Expand as Viewed', and 'Convert to Live Paint'.

<15 minutes have passed since I wrote the above>

I did get it to eventually activate. When I Place a graphic in the document, then I get the Tracing Options to appear. When I Paste a graphic into the document, then it is grayed out.

Not sure why it treats those differently. Thanks again for your response.

Pauley

Return to posts index

John Mensinger
on Jan 12, 2010 at 7:52:40 pm

Ah yes, Adobe apps can be finicky when it comes to Place vs. Paste. I'm glad you got it sorted out.

John M:
All of the vim with none of that annoying vigor.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Jan 17, 2010 at 5:02:58 pm

Place links the image to file (unless you unchecked the option). Paste embeds it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]