How PMS Colors can be done in DUOTONE.

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ahmed Ali
How PMS Colors can be done in DUOTONE.
on Dec 25, 2009 at 10:24:14 pm

Hello,

Good Day

I have job having 7 Colors and I have been asked to done it in 5 Colors.

(1) Pantone 485CVC (RED)
(2) Pantone 356CVC (GREEN)
(3) Pantone 116CVC (YELLOW)
(4) Pantone 301CV (D-BLUE)
(5) Pantone 279C (L-BLUE)
(6) Pantone 732C (D-BROWN)
(7) Pantone 730C (L-BROWN)

I can use Red, Green and Yellow on separate screens where as remaining “FOUR COLORS” are Dark Blue, Light Blue, Dark Brown and Light Brown.
Please guide me how I can finish the job in five colors as my boss advised me to do it in duo tone. The job is on Illustrator CS2 and Colors are PMS.

Please guide me how PMS Colors can be done in DUO TONE.

I have been working in filled of screen print for many years but unaware
about duo tone in Illustrator.

I would sincerely grateful for your reply and Guidance.

With Best Regards

Ahmed Ali

Return to posts index

Allen Strand
Re: How PMS Colors can be done in DUOTONE.
on Jan 6, 2010 at 8:17:18 am

Some ideas that may not be be completely correct.

Duotone is a really nice tool. I am not certain how you will apply that to the blue and brown. You could consider a blue/black duotone and a brown/black duotone which would be three colors instead of four but that only leaves you two colors. You might then use the red/yellow combination to get red, yellow and orange instead of green.

Photoshop has nice documentation about duotones. I would look at the Photoshop documentation. Wikipedia has a nice example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duotone.

Adobe says you can mix spot and process colors in InDesign. I am not certain whether you can do that in Illustrator. I would look at the "lab values" area. You essentially need to specify an Illustrator spot color that ends up with different percentages on your five spot color plates. Photoshop will give you the percentages and hopefully the lab values will allow you to do this in Illustrator.

I hope this helps a bit.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: How PMS Colors can be done in DUOTONE.
on Jan 30, 2010 at 7:08:47 am

Duotone images are created in photoshop, and saved as either EPS or DCS. Create the duotone in photoshop and specify your pantone colors.

He wants a 5 color job...and you've got more colors than 5 listed there. So, you have to cut back on your PMS (spot) colors. I'd be tempted to do 5 color process with a 5th color as a single spot color. But, not knowing anything about the design, what your client wants, etc., makes it difficult to respond.

http://www.youtube.com/graphicsdump

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]