FORUMS: list search recent posts

pattern without a gap - Hot To?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
gunnar Kordestani
pattern without a gap - Hot To?
on Dec 4, 2009 at 10:08:27 am

hi folks,

I want to create a pattern swatch to fill some squares. The basic technique is clear but when I fill anything with any of my patterns I always get huge gaps in between the patterns. What I need is a seemless
fill of what I created as a pattern.

Even better ... can the size of the gap between each pattern be adjusted? Then we would have some control on our final look and with setting the gap to 0 or even less we could close it to a smooth surface.

How to do that?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: pattern without a gap - Hot To?
on Dec 4, 2009 at 10:48:03 am

It's possible that the gap you are seeing might just be a screen rendering issue.
Try printing or exporting a file that uses the tile fill, and let us know.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

gunnar Kordestani
Re: pattern without a gap - How To?
on Dec 7, 2009 at 7:10:09 am

sorry, my fault. I have a pattern of perls here (a photo actually) and put them into a clipping mask to get straight edges. The pattern should consist only of the things still be seen (clipped by the mask). Actually I got the whole size, with the clipped out parts as transparent parts of the pattern.

so I just cut away all I didnt need in the pattern in photosho and then got what I was lookking for. I guess that is the way it shoul go. Even though I think it would be a cool feature to be able to adjust some percentual overlapping in the "new pattern swatch/pattern brush" Dialogue.

thx
Gunnar

Return to posts index

Thie Thomsen
Re: pattern without a gap - How To?
on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:24:06 am

There is a less destructive way of getting seamless patterns:

When defining a pattern, make sure that a bounding box (where you want the pattern to end) is placed below the artwork with no colour for stroke and fill. If this is selected together with the stuff you want to use in the pattern, and "define pattern", it will 'clip' the pattern to this box, creating seamless patterns.

---
I can see your spot colours...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]