FORUMS: list search recent posts

Actions with Pantone Colors in CS3

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Lloyd
Actions with Pantone Colors in CS3
on Dec 3, 2009 at 3:47:59 pm

Hey there everyone!

Question for you: I'm attempting to create a mask around text in Illustrator CS3 for a piece of text. My process has been

a)copy and paste in back
b)change fill color to x
c)apply stroke of y points
d)change stroke color to x.

This worked great with greyscale/CMYK colors, but I am now working with Pantone colors. For whatever reason, it doesn't look like the action palette will "record" definitions through the loaded Pantone Color Pallete. Any workarounds out there?

Also, on a related notes, is there a way to tell illustrator to move a piece of text to a layer with name "Z?" I know this can be accomplished in photoshop...

Return to posts index

Thie Thomsen
Re: Actions with Pantone Colors in CS3
on Dec 4, 2009 at 1:21:08 pm

Could you please post what actions are being recorded after you've finished recording?

---
I can see your spot colours...

Return to posts index

Daniel Lloyd
on Dec 4, 2009 at 8:25:34 pm

I'm sorry, I am not quite sure what information is being requested here: would you like the completed actions from start to finish, or would you like the steps that are added to the action palette when I hit record and attempt to build the action?

Also, please excuse the typos in the previous post!

Return to posts index

Thie Thomsen
on Dec 7, 2009 at 11:17:15 am

Both if possible :)

That way we can see what is and what is not happening.

---

Return to posts index

Daniel Lloyd
on Dec 8, 2009 at 7:53:19 pm

Please excuse the delay in responding to this post (so busy!).

Okay, here is what my base action looks like:
Knockout: land
1) Copy
2) Paste in back
3) Set Color
Fill Color - Gray: 5%
4) Set Color
Stroke color - Gray: 5%
5) Set Stroke
Weight 1.5 pt
Cap: Butt Cap
Miter Limit: 4
Join: miter join
Dashed LInes: 0
Alignment: Center
6) Attribute Setting
Fill Overprint: No
7) Attribute Setting
Stroke Overprint: No

This ends up with a copy of the piece of text that masks out the line work underneath.

The Issue: when recording actions, I can use the color palette to make changes to a piece of text and know that these changes will be picked up (for example, a 5% grayscale fill). With the pantone color, the actions palate will not record this change as a 5% PANTONE fill, but rather as a 5% grayscale fill.

This color palette was opened, btw, using Window->Swatch Libraries->Color Books->Pantone Solid Matte. I was working with Pantone Yellow M as an example, and trying to replace the "5% Gray stroke/fill" portions with a corresponding pantone color.

Does that help?

Return to posts index

Thie Thomsen
on Dec 8, 2009 at 8:29:17 pm

I don't see you selecting a spot colour from your swatches anywhere. Is that what is not being recorded?

---

Return to posts index

Daniel Lloyd
on Dec 8, 2009 at 9:44:16 pm

That is exactly the issue that I'm having. Do you know how I could bring that about? I've tried playing around with it it (as mentioned in my previous post), but no joy...

Return to posts index

Thie Thomsen
on Dec 8, 2009 at 10:24:56 pm

Kinda sounds like something is wrong with your copy of illustrator...

However, did you try to put the necessary spot colours in your document's swatches (instead of picking them directly from the colour book window) before recording the action?

---

Return to posts index

Daniel Lloyd
on Dec 9, 2009 at 2:42:39 am

>.< I think that's exactly the problem I am having. I'll investigate this tomorrow, but that might be just the problem. As it currently stands, I'm not sure if the swatch has been added to the document's swatches.

More tomorrow morning as it develops.

Return to posts index

Thie Thomsen
on Dec 10, 2009 at 7:57:52 am

Did it work??

---

Return to posts index

Daniel Lloyd
on Dec 10, 2009 at 1:19:42 pm

Thie:
Like a charm! =) Thank you so much for your advice. I had a feeling it was something very simple.

Stuart:
I'll look into your suggestion, but part of the reason why we are using actions is that is can automate the copy-paste in back process. Furthermore, since we want to keep the text masks in a seperate layer from the text being masked, actions look to be the way to go.

But I will poke around and check that video out.

Return to posts index

Stuart Gill
on Dec 11, 2009 at 12:30:19 pm

No problem Daniel, there is usually a good reason. I wanted to make sure you were not wasting your time just in case you didn't realise what the Appearance Panel can do.

You could predefine your mask using the Appearance Panel and save it as a style, then within your action/script you can apply the style to the object.

Return to posts index

Daniel Lloyd
on Dec 14, 2009 at 3:10:33 pm

Thie:

Forgive me for taking so long to get back to you, but thank you so much for the Script. The ability to move items from one layer to another automatically is something that I wish was enabled in Illustrator from the start (Photoshop seems to be more flexible in this regard). I haven't had a chance to test drive it yet (so busy at the moment at work), but I can't wait to give it a test run!

Question: do you have any suggestions on a good resources to learn the Javascript langauge? (I've always wanted to learn but never gotten around to it).

Stuart:

Interesting..so define a style in the appearence panel. Curious. I've never quite "gotten" this palette, but I'll give it a little more poking around.

Return to posts index

Stuart Gill
on Dec 10, 2009 at 10:17:23 am

Is there a reason why you are not using the Appearance Panel and creating your 'mask' as a Graphic Style? This would mean you don't have to use actions, instead just apply the style to the text. If you want to use this style within other documents, you can simply save the graphic style and it will be accessible from the user defined style library.

If you don't know about the Appearance panel watch this video from Adobe:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/csinsider-design/in-panel-appearance-editing

Return to posts index

Thie Thomsen
on Dec 10, 2009 at 9:38:49 pm

To help you with the additional question (the moving of stuff to a layer named "Z"), I hacked together a little javascript you can run using your illustrator's script menu item.

It will create a new layer named "Z", or, if it allready exists, use the existing layer. It will move all of the currently selected items to this layer.

You can put this script in an action by placing it in your Illustrator/Presets/scripts folder (so it shows up in your scripts menu), and add it to your action using the "add menu item" (or something, i'm using a dutch illustrator and do not know the english name) to select the script.

419_movetolayerz.js.zip

Enjoy

---

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]