FORUMS: list search recent posts

shading in Illustrator

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Triplett
shading in Illustrator
on Nov 22, 2009 at 8:25:21 pm

Need to shade a shape like a saxaphone. Need it to look "rounded" and the bell to look deep. Doesn't have to be photorealistic. Suggestions?

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: shading in Illustrator
on Nov 23, 2009 at 6:19:23 am

There are lot's of shading tutorials, even videos for AI. You can even search youtube for a video or there's a thing called...google or yahoo that can help you find tutorials if you enter the right keywords.

Return to posts index

John Mensinger
on Nov 23, 2009 at 1:16:38 pm

...and in your case those keywords, (and the right Illustrator tool for what you're doing), would be Gradient Mesh.

John M:
All of the vim with none of that annoying vigor.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Nov 23, 2009 at 4:15:36 pm

He said it doesn't have to be realistic, so he don't need gradient mesh. You can do realistic or stylistic shadings with simple gradients or colored shapes and masks, too.

Return to posts index

John Mensinger
on Nov 23, 2009 at 4:48:16 pm

Annnnd...you jumped back in here to defend your post which so helpfully stated, "there's a thing called Google"?

Of course, there's at least 10 different ways to produce shaded objects in AI, but for something with the curving reflectivity of a saxophone, Gradient Mesh is a natural fit, regardless of the degree of realism targeted, and I'd highly recommend learning it.

Did I miss reading some rule here discouraging the mention of specific features? Or, am I to understand that you just steered the OP in the general direction of a couple ubiquitous search engines strictly because "it doesn't have to be realistic"? Surely you didn't infer that my post had something to do with yours, did you? Come on.

John M:
All of the vim with none of that annoying vigor.

Return to posts index

Bill Triplett
on Nov 23, 2009 at 5:14:47 pm

I'm working with the gradient mesh now, thank you. Looking at tutorials on you tube. Some are very basic.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Nov 23, 2009 at 5:48:07 pm

>>Annnnd...you jumped back in here to defend your post
YES! How did you know?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]