FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pathfinder Palette "Unite" and "Expand" to create a single Object

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick DePuydt
Pathfinder Palette "Unite" and "Expand" to create a single Object
on Nov 21, 2009 at 9:42:30 pm

In Illustrator CS3, when I had several objects that I wanted united as a single object, I used to go to the Pathfinder palette, click the "unite" button which would then enable the "expand" button thus making 1 whole object. The only way this trick would work is if all the objects were ungrouped, so I always made sure they weren't grouped.

Now, for some reason, in Illustrator CS4, when I have several, ungrouped objects such as a star and a square, I click "unite" in the pathfinder palette, and to my repeated frustration, Illustrator doesn't create a single object. All I get is a grouped object that I can double-click into isolation mode or ungroup and be right back where I started (with separate a star and a square). I'm finding that clicking "unite" does not enable the "expand" button in the Pathfinder Palette.

I tried to manually expand by clicking "unite" and then going to tab object>expand, but this doesn't do it. I still only have a grouped object.

What am I doing wrong??!!!

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
Re: Pathfinder Palette "Unite" and "Expand" to create a single Object
on Nov 23, 2009 at 6:11:20 am

Try clicking unite without hitting alt/option at the same time. CS4 went back to the way it was in older versions of Illustrator, when no alt pressing was needed.

D.

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: Pathfinder Palette "Unite" and "Expand" to create a single Object
on Nov 23, 2009 at 6:16:25 am

If you read the little balloon help that pops up when you hover over the button it says "Alt-click to create a compound shape."

In CS4 it immediately creates and expands the object(s) if you click on the button. You have to Alt click it to get a compound shape (editable).

In previous versions it used to be the other way around. I guess they re-invented the wheel.

If it doesn't work like this for you, then you prolly have an open object. Maybe even 2 anchors laying on top of each other which are not connected to fool you as if you had a closed object.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]