FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator scaling when saving as PDF

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gloria Serena
Illustrator scaling when saving as PDF
on Nov 19, 2009 at 7:35:56 pm

Hello All,

I'm having problems with Illustrator. I'm doing some invitations and one of the three will save as a pdf (with crops) just fine, for the other two, when saving as a pdf, the file is scaled to fit an 8.5x11 full page.

What am I doing wrong?

Gloria

Return to posts index

les nemeth
Re: Illustrator scaling when saving as PDF
on Nov 19, 2009 at 10:57:53 pm

Scaling down or scaling up?
Not much of an info to go on, but some things comes to mind blind folded are:
- Do you have any masked/invisible items on the page that extends to letter size?
- Do you have your artboard/printable area set correctly?
- Do you have your crop area set correctly?
- I assume you double checked your PDF settings?

That's all comes to mind. Otherwise you can upload the problem file for a double check.

Return to posts index

Gloria Serena
on Nov 19, 2009 at 11:28:35 pm

Thanks for the reply... I'm sorry for the scant information, I was at work, the files at home. At home, I'm running Adobe Illustrator CS v11.0 (mac based). I tried the design at work, PC based, CS 3 and had the same results--auto-scaling to 8.5x11. There is something I'm doing in one file, that I didn't do in the others. I'm stumped. I've checked and re-checked and as far as I can see, all the preferences are the same.

To reply:

I checked (in outline view) for any stray data and there was none

My document set-up is 8.5x11 but my crop marks are 5x7. When "save as" a pdf, the Adobe pdf is 8.5x11, with the artwork cropped (it's a bleed). Note: This is the same for the first document--the invitation--which saves as a pdf with all the printer's marks and no scaling.

Seems no matter how many times I check the "add all trim marks" it seems to discard my crop marks and scale to 8.5x11 automatically w/o the bleed.

I removed the clipping mask (used for viewing) before printing. In preview view, it shows the bleed and the crop marks. When "saved as", it drops the bleed and crops and scales.

Thanks for your help. Nervous bride girlfriend anxious for the files! Never again.

Gloria

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Nov 20, 2009 at 1:25:25 am

There are 2 kinds of cropmarks. One is just an effect, which you will find in the Effect menu. That will add 4 little marks to the document, but that is only for visibility reasons. Your document will not be actually cropped to those marks.

The use the "real" crop marks, you need to use Object > Crop Area > Make. That will create a crop region that will actually be recognized.

Make sure you won't confuse the two.

Return to posts index

Gloria Serena
on Nov 20, 2009 at 7:57:50 pm

Hello Les and thanks for the replies....

I'm sure that they are the real crops. I'm at work, but when home, I'm going to check on the layers. Perhaps the crop is in the front/top layer.

Return to posts index

Gloria Serena
on Nov 25, 2009 at 12:28:14 am

ARRGH! I'm getting so frustrated!

I tried relaying the RSVP. Even converted the fonts to outlines thinking perhaps it was the scaling on the text box (which was huge 250% and extended off the 8.5x11 document) and STILL when saving as a pdf it crops. Also, interestingly, it won't print with crops directly from Illustrator unless I scale. (And yet the invitation, with text box out the wazoo, prints to pdf just fine and directly out of Illustrator just fine.)

I've looked high and low and can't find any stray pieces/data that would cause it to read outside the 8.5x11. Even saved the invitation pdf, deleted everything and tried from there (it's a very basic desgin). Still it crops.

Anyone have any ideas left?

Return to posts index

les nemeth
on Nov 25, 2009 at 3:23:33 am

You can post the file if you want to.

Return to posts index

Stuart Gill
on Nov 25, 2009 at 9:38:37 am

I concur with Les, it sounds like it might be better to post the file for some of us to see what the problem could be?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]