FORUMS: list search recent posts

AI CS2 won't print after reloading

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mary Lightfoot
AI CS2 won't print after reloading
on Oct 21, 2009 at 4:33:45 pm

I had to reload my AI and now it gives me the error "can't print the illustration". I have reloaded print driver to no avail. Anyone have a solution?

Mary

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Stuart Gill
Re: AI CS2 won't print after reloading
on Oct 22, 2009 at 1:15:01 pm

Does this happen with one file or with all files?

You can try deleting the aiprefs file. Close Illustrator first and go to the following location, depending on what OS you are using.

Illustrator CS2:
Windows XP and 2000
Documents and Settings/[user name]/Application Data/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS2 Settings/AIPrefs

Windows Vista
Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator CS2 Settings/AIPrefs

Don't have a MAC, so not sure where to find it.

Return to posts index

Mary Lightfoot
on Oct 22, 2009 at 2:25:03 pm

Seems like I had trouble locating an Application data file before. I am using win xp. Under Documents and Settings there are only 3 folders - Administrator, All Users & Mary Lightfoot. None of them have a file called Application Data. Any suggestions?

Mary

Return to posts index

Mary Lightfoot
on Oct 22, 2009 at 8:07:31 pm

I found the file under windows and deleted it but still won't print. Also, on the task bar under Window, the drop down "type" does not display the fonts since I reloaded. I have to scroll down the long list under Type on the task bar. That is a pain. I have reloaded several times and nothing changes. All of this worked perfectly before I reloaded the program.

Mary

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Vincent Rosati
on Oct 22, 2009 at 9:10:12 pm

When you say 'I found the file under windows', do you mean C:WINDOWS?
If so, you should never manually do anything in that directory or sub-directory, unless you really know what you are doing.
You may have permanently damaged the system registry or something.

Application Data is a folder, not a file.

Under Tools/Folder Options/View you should make sure you have 'Show hidden files' checked. As, Application Data is a hidden folder.
You can only find hidden items, with Search, by modifying the preferences, under 'Change preferences' within the search panel, to include hidden items in the search results. But, I wouldn't worry about doing that.

Make sure you are in an account with Administrator privileges. Than..
My Computer/C:/Doc's & Set's/*user*/Application Data...

I don't have an answer to your initial question, I just became concerned when I read your last post.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Mary Lightfoot
on Oct 23, 2009 at 2:05:01 pm

I was wrong. The folder was where you said, I did not have the 'show hidden...' on. I have restored it as it did not seem to make any difference. I reloaded AI when I got a new computer and the problems have existed since. Only AI, no other programs. I will try to reload again.

Mary

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Stuart Gill
on Oct 23, 2009 at 4:07:40 pm

When you delete the aiprefs file, Illustrator recreates a fresh one when it starts up. That is why Illustrator needs to be closed while you delete the file.

Can you print to a pdf through the print dialog? If it does indeed create a pdf then I suspect it is down to the printer driver. It may work if you have the printer installed first before you install Illustrator. Also, as I asked previously, can you see if the printer has a postscript driver? It may need to be done separately or be specifically chosen when installing the driver.

Hope this helps,

Stuart

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Stuart Gill
on Oct 23, 2009 at 10:09:23 am

Follow what Vincent has said in his post. Also to reiterate his question, what file/folder did you delete? Did you mean the aiprefs file or something else?

As your font listing is not working properly, it suggests to me that you may have deleted more than you should have?

If you have managed to correctly delete the aiprefs file, per my instructions, and it still doesn't print then you should also look at your printer driver. What printer do you have? Does it have a postscript driver?

On another tack, you mentioned that you have reinstalled Illustrator. Was this after a new install of windows? With the fonts going funny, you may need to do, as a last resort, resintall Illustrator again. If you decide to do that, make sure you uninstall it and restart the machine first.

Return to posts index

Mary Lightfoot
on Oct 23, 2009 at 8:54:35 pm

FYI - I just reloaded my old AI 9 and it prints just fine.
I'm stumped. I appreciate all the suggestions.

Mary

Return to posts index

cowcowcow
Vincent Rosati
on Oct 23, 2009 at 9:34:58 pm

If you get a chance, update your profile with your OS and hardware specs (ram, processor, etc.), so we can see what you are working with.

My system uses a non-SSE processor. Although I can install and run CS3+ Adobe products there are a number of functions that won't work within the applications. I've had to revert to CS2, and max out at PP 1.5, and AE 6.5.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Mary Lightfoot
on Oct 26, 2009 at 8:57:08 pm

Yeah!! I fixed it. I had upgraded my Adobe Reader to version 9. I deleted it and reloaded version 8 and now all is working in AI.
Many thanks for everyone trying to help me!!

Mary

Return to posts index

Gillian Lamb
on Nov 30, 2009 at 12:33:17 pm

Just wanted to thank all in this thread - I too had this problem - almost as I was working in Illustrator this month (November 2009)- one minute printing the next not. Once I un-installed Acrobat reader 9.2 and re-installed V 8 -Illustrator started to print. So thank you.
Gillian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]