COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Chard
Rotate, paste, and repeat
on Oct 12, 2009 at 11:15:09 pm

I need to:
make a pattern
COPY it
rotate the copy 60 degrees around a point that is not in the center of the pattern,
PASTE it,
and repeat four more times.

How can I do this? Especially the bit about specifying a rotation point?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Rotate, paste, and repeat
on Oct 13, 2009 at 5:44:46 am

Based on my reading of your description, I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to use the copy function in the rotate tool to do this.

Since Copy, Paste, and Rotate functions are scriptable, you could always look into creating an Illustrator Script.

If you devise a solution for this, please let us know. :)

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies and check Solution if solved. Also, we do this out of love and fun, so its always nice to recieve a Please and Thank You! :)

Return to posts index

John Mensinger
on Oct 13, 2009 at 1:01:06 pm

Without more detail, it's hard to envision exactly what you're doing, but here's what I tried, and it works.

Draw an object, (or produce your pattern).

Copy, then paste in front, (Ctrl+F).

Choose the Rotate tool, move the reference point as desired, then rotate the copy 60°.

With the rotated copy still selected, copy, then paste in front again, (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+F).

Choose Object > Transform > Transform Again, (Ctrl+D).

Repeat Ctrl+C, Ctrl+F, Ctrl+D as many times as necessary.

Return to posts index

david Cabestany
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:09:13 pm

Specifying a rotation point is easy, select the object you want to rotate and select the rotation tool, then click with your mouse where you want the new anchor to be placed, and you will see the small crosshair icon placed in that new location, now you can rotate your object anchored to that point, in or out of your object. If you hit alt while rotating you will be duplicating your object a t the same time you are rotating, so by hitting command-D right after you can make the additional extra copies.

Return to posts index

Eric Chard
on Oct 13, 2009 at 5:41:58 pm

Thanks everybody.

Essentially, I'm making a 'snowflake'.

Getting the rhythm of pressing the ALT >>after<< starting the dragging was essential (it's the little damn things....).

I got it covered now, but: Is there any way to accomplish this via numeric keyboard entry? Trying to hit 60 degrees perfectly is rather fiddly with the mouse. I'm used to 3d apps where you could just ENTER a rotation value and be done with it. (Illustrator CS1)

++++++++++++++++
"Putting the HARM in 'harmonica' since 2005."
++++++++++++++++

Return to posts index

John Mensinger
on Oct 13, 2009 at 5:47:02 pm

Sure, just enter 60 in the rotation field at the bottom left of the Transform panel. You only have to rotate once, then use the Transform Again command. The method I posted previously requires no use of the mouse at all.

John M:
All of the vim with none of that annoying vigor.

Return to posts index

Stuart Gill
on Oct 21, 2009 at 8:56:24 am

Slightly different way again.

After selecting the object and clicking on the rotate tool, hold the Alt key down and click where you want the rotation point to be for that object. The rotate dialog box will appear straight after and you can specify your angle and click copy. Then press Crtl-D to repeat the transformation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]