FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maximum Document Size for Rastered Export

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian DeViteri
Maximum Document Size for Rastered Export
on Oct 7, 2009 at 5:59:20 pm

I'm working with a large banner layout (216in x 72in) in Illustrator CS3 on a Mac OSX 10.5.8. I am unable to export a JPEG (or other raster formats) of the layout, however smaller layouts work fine.

Is there a known document size limitation for exporting a JPEG or other rastered images? When importing into Photoshop, it seems like I am limited to under 200in in width (the rest gets cropped off) and wondering if the 200in width is possibly an Adobe limit.

Any suggestions for a work around? I've been taking PNG screen shots of the layout to send off to the client as comps. Seems like it's the only solution that works for right now...

Ideally I'd like to have a "full resolution" rastered image (in addition to the AI files) at the end of this project for archive purposes.

Return to posts index

david Cabestany
Re: Maximum Document Size for Rastered Export
on Oct 8, 2009 at 4:58:09 am

Why do you need such a large jpeg or png? If it\\\'s only for approval you are fine with the screen shots, and if it\\\'s for printing (highly unlikely from a jpeg) then try lowering the resolution to 50 dpi or less.

I have also had trouble exporting large raster formats from Illustrator in the past, specially in cmyk mode, I used to export them as rgb and if I needed them in cmyk I would convert them back in Photoshop.

Regarding the archive I would strongly suggest to back up in the original Illustrator format rather than a rasterized version.

Best,

D.

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Oct 8, 2009 at 2:04:01 pm

Needed the JPEG for the client - they wanted to see it "full resolution" to check the banner closely...

I know it's not a CMYK/RGB issue, it's a large size issue... tried both color spaces, tried different DPIs as well, but nothing worked. I think it has something to do with the fact the document itself is larger than 200 inches wide, but not 100% positive.

As for archives, I ALWAYS keep the original project file and often also save in other formats as well, just in case (EPS, PDF, etc). I try to keep a rastered version of everything with my archive in case it needs to be handed off to someone else in the future - then there's a tangible reference to how everything was set. Had problems with layer mismatching on occasion between different versions (CS and CS3) and those JPEG references have been life savers... and they're easy to send off to people when they need an image of the project.

Return to posts index

david Cabestany
on Oct 8, 2009 at 2:56:50 pm

I see. Well, first of all no one will print that banner at 200 inches at 300 dpi, so there's no use for your client to check it at "full resolution" I have printed large materials, up to 9 ft and the max resolution requested ranges from 50 to 72, however each printer and printing device has its own settings, I just haven't heard of such a large size being printed at 300.

Now, here's a risky idea, have you tried opening the file directly in Preview? Maybe you can open it there and if nothing gets changed make your export directly from Preview.

Also I'm not clear if you are exporting from Illustrator or trying to open the .ai file directly into Photoshop, usually opening the file directly in Photoshop yields better results than exporting from AI.

Best,

D.

Return to posts index

Brian DeViteri
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:21:09 pm

As I'm sure you know, not all client requests make sense...

I've tried opening through Preview, but it just doesn't "work" if you know what I mean. The file is quite large and finder/preview seems to time out while processing. I've let it sit, but no avail.

I've tried opening the AI file (Illustrator CS3) in Photoshop (CS3) and I'm limited to under 200 inches in width, and the banner/billboard is 227 inches. So what Photoshop does is it opens as much as it can, then just cuts off what it can't. And unfortunately, I can't take part of it in "pass 1" and the other part in "pass 2" and then combine them - no way to do it since you can't select the under 200 inch portion that you want to use.

I know there are PDF restrictions to size, so I guess there are JPEG restrictions in size as well... or else it's an artificial limit by Adobe in CS3. Curious if there's a limit in CS4...

Return to posts index

david Cabestany
on Oct 13, 2009 at 3:56:32 pm

Write to me privately, elcabes@gmail.com

perhaps you can send me your file via ftp and I can try it on cs4...

Return to posts index

James Gerber
on Nov 26, 2009 at 7:23:30 pm

If you have photoshop, you can open the .ai or .pdf file into Photoshop at your desired size, and THEN export as whatever sized Bitmap file you want.

Did you figure out if there was a solution to this? Or is it merely a limitation of Illustrator 'cause it bothers me too.

Sometimes when creating large banners or signage, it's easier to just send a flattened TIF to the sign creation software, than it is to try to make sure all the drop shadows and gradients are setup correctly in it.... so it's nice to work with a 150dpi image actual size. And yeah... I do print at 150dpi.. not 75dpi... For billboards and such it's not a big deal, but sometimes you are printing large graphics that go on walls that can be within 3 ft from people, and 150dpi is nice, cause it gives you a bit of play incase you need to enlarge it more.

CorelDraw is capable of exporting such files... I have not been able to get Illustrator to do it, since I get the same error message.

The weirdest thing is.. "if" we don't need to adjust the images or layout from the supplied artwork... although we can't open an Illustrator File or PDF in Illustrator, and export it as a flattened TIFF... we ARE able to open that Illustrator or PDF file into Photoshop at the desired size/resolution.

Return to posts index

James Gerber
on Nov 27, 2009 at 2:59:51 am

Oops... sorry.. just noticed you had mentioned you already tried the photoshop but were limited to under 200inches. I haven't tried creating anything that large yet... but good to know there is a limit.

Out of curiosity, does illustrator have a limit to dpi?
(Ie: can you export a file at 10% actual size, but increase dpi to 1200 or something?)

Return to posts index

Stuart Gill
on Oct 16, 2009 at 12:53:12 pm

Hello everyone,

This is my first post to the forum. This is my solution/work around.

I had the same problem recently with a file that wouldn't export as a, in my case, tiff image. The way I got around it was by using multiple artboards in CS4, cutting my work into three sections and exporting those as separate images. I opened one of them in Photoshop, resized the canvas and added the other segments to it, making sure they butted together properly. It might not be the correct way but it worked for me as I ended up with a single tiff image, with the correct size and resolution.

In CS3 you can do the same thing with multiple crop areas.

Hope this helps.

Stuart

Return to posts index

Timothy Cumming
on Jan 25, 2012 at 11:16:06 am

Stuart, you're a god. I want to create JPGs for large hi-def printing, (over 10k pixels square), and I've been plagued by the limitations of Fireworks and Illustrator. Here's what I found:

Fireworks CS5 (yes I know it's a web app, but you can really push it, and it's fast to work in, with great filters) - I used 18 megapixels photos and worked at eighth scale - 1250 pixels square, then when finished, blew up to 10k x 10k using Image Size (it doesn't like scaling symbols though)

Illustrator CS5 (just learning it now) - I unchecked the PDF-ready boxes and used just link files. Worked a treat - produced works 60" by 40" at 300dpi - that's 18k x 9k pixels - using your mulitple-techniques. Superb! Really high def printed artwork for very close inspection by visitors.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]