FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live trace - can you limit the trace to parts of a bitmap image?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amy Fierstein
Live trace - can you limit the trace to parts of a bitmap image?
on Sep 14, 2009 at 3:16:20 am

I have a photograph of a person, and I want to make just his hair and clothing look cartoon-like. I've been playing around with the live trace tool, but can't figure if it's even possible to apply live trace to just those parts of the photograph. Do I have to rasterize the image first? Do I create clipping paths for the hair and clothing and then use live trace?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Live trace - can you limit the trace to parts of a bitmap image?
on Sep 14, 2009 at 4:08:08 am

The trace applies to the entire raster image.
You could duplicate the raster, trace it, expand it, than just grab the vector objects that you need to add to the original raster.

Depending on the complexity of the shapes, maybe you could draw the portions that you need?

Just a few ideas

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies and check Solution if solved. Also, we do this out of love and fun, so its always nice to recieve a Please and Thank You! :)

Return to posts index

Amy Fierstein
Re: Live trace - can you limit the trace to parts of a bitmap image?
on Sep 14, 2009 at 5:18:29 pm

Thank you! I duplicated the image, brought it into Illustrator, used live trace, and then brought it back into photoshop as another layer, and masked out the portions I didn't want. I was hoping there was a shortcut, but it looks good, so problem solved!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]